FJ40 front end with full time 4wd transfer case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
In my neverending FJ45LV project I am installing a 2UZ + H151 5 speed with it's mated full time 4wd transfer case. I was planning on converting the TC to part time but wanted to consider not doing so.

I am aware of the general opinions out in the world regarding the pros and cons of converting to PT in a truck originally FT. I know there are both PT and FT solid axle 80 and 100 series out in the world.

Would there be any concrete downsides to running a properly refreshed, adjusted and set-up FJ40 front axle with a full time 4wd transfer case (retaining the center diff lock functionality)? I'm thinking "that axle is different than the ones in the trucks with FT4wd (in this way or that) so it is a bad idea" sort of stuff. Anything I should be considering?

Thanks,
mark

Recall that FJ40s were delivered with drive plates, rather than manual hubs, and manual hubs were dealer-installed. So, the axles were designed to be turning (passively) all the time.

Your FT set up will have a viscous coupler, so that should prevent binding. You might need to replace the axle seal more often (at the end of the axle tube) more often. I would be SURE your front axle is properly/freely vented, since it will be turning and running hotter than an hub-unlocked regular axle. Just my thoughts here.

^this

Your FT set up will have a viscous coupler, so that should prevent binding.
You can always pull the VC since you will have CDL functionality. My VC was shot and binding on my 80 so I yanked it, I simply hit the CDL if I need power shared to the front axle. A 40 might drive better with the center diff open (and sans VC) due to the short wheel base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom