FJ40 Front axle help. Ball ends were sandblasted. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short. I took my front FJ40 axle housing in to get sand blasted and the ball ends got blasted also. I've only seen pics so far but its evident the exterior sealing surface was blasted. :0 Is there any way to polish it back to its hard luster or is the housing junk now? Thanks in advance.

Once you grease it up I cannot imagine it would be an issue. If you took it somewhere I assume they did not use real sand, and used something that get rid of paint and rust and not much metal.

I will see it in person in a couple days , the surface was good prior to the breakdown in communication. There is a good polisher guy her in town , ill run it by him after I pick it up and see if it can be salvaged.

On a related note, It was a 1976. what years could I replace the housing with if need be/ Thanks again.

If the surface is abrasive it will wear the wipers quicker than if smooth. I would smooth them up a bit with sand paper and apply several coats of paint, makes a nice smooth surface for the wipers.

Long story short. I took my front FJ40 axle housing in to get sand blasted and the ball ends got blasted also. I've only seen pics so far but its evident the exterior sealing surface was blasted. :0 Is there any way to polish it back to its hard luster or is the housing junk now? Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about the sand blasting. Do you have pics you can share with us for a better evaluation?

Some have them chromed,

Jerry D.

I have a pic but cant seem to find the link to upload it from my computer. I took it over to my polish guy and should pick it up today...

should be able to pic up Monday, I will let ya know how it turned out. Tks for the help.

I picked up the housing from the polisher and I think it looks great. If someone will host pics I can send before and after photos. 447xpro, great offer, but I think i'm good so far.

I would have just hit it up with a brass wire wheel.

I've used JB Weld on a wheeling truck before to repair badly pitted knuckle balls.

After polishing. I will try and get some before pics up later DSCN1659.JPG DSCN1659.JPG

DSCN1660.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom