FJ40 For Sale Ads - Observations & Translations! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We need one of these threads for the classifieds section...

I was on a kick....started "Dreamer of the week" in the 60 section....but i agree I think the classifieds needs a related thread for all these junk ads

"We do not claim this to be a rust free truck, however, this one is really close in original untouched form. Shown exactly as we found it. Absolute time capsule". = This thing is rusty! We haven't spent a dime on it and neither has anyone else.

"Runs and drives." = Absolutely not safe or reliable to go any distance.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own a truck so original and preserved." = Hurry before you find a better "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity".

FYI - For thread relativity/continuity, If you see a craigslist ad you want to reference, Take a screen shot of the ad rather than posting a link to it. The ads will surely lead to a dead end "Post not found." within weeks or days.

One of my faves...

E42D52E1-3540-4256-A7B4-FA3795FF18CE.jpeg

"I would love to keep it but my wife would prefer to have the space in the garage back and I don't have time to work on it"

Read: HOA says the abandoned rust bucket has to go
SO true! My HOA says as long as it has a valid plate or is covered up they do not care. My old HOA was anything that look like it needed to be towed.

"Mechanics car" - Everything is broken because last thing mechanic wants to do after working on cars all day is work on his own car

"Mechanics special" - no one in the shop can figure out what is wrong with it or how to fix it....or no one wants to fix it.

Just an FYI, I had somebody who is a vendor on here (although not a popular one these days) tell me face to face that as a seller it is not his job or responsibly to share with potential buyers anything wrong with the Cruisers he sells.

I was actually interviewing for a job with him and I was like, nope, not working for you.

He also owns a Land Cruiser shop.

Cheers

Just an FYI, I had somebody who is a vendor on here (although not a popular one these days) tell me face to face that as a seller it is not his job or responsibly to share with potential buyers anything wrong with the Cruisers he sells.

I was actually interviewing for a job with him and I was like, nope, not working for you.

He also owns a Land Cruiser shop.

Cheers
Honesty is always the best policy. Some people just don't have respect for the rest of us. Too bad but hopefully, he is alone in that philosophy.

Honesty is always the best policy. Some people just don't have respect for the rest of us. Too bad but hopefully, he is alone in that philosophy.

He is not alone, that’s the problem.

I will take a loss before I will lie or mislead someone.

If we screw up in my shop, we cover that 100% with zero cost to the customer. That’s why we take the time and do everything we can to not make mistakes.

Cheers

MANY many years ago I started discussions with a very well-known parts vendor about rebuilding transfer cases for them. I gave them a quote, and they told me how much less they were paying for their rebuilds with their then-current supplier. I punched up some numbers in my calculator and told them I knew what they WEREN’T replacing for that price, and that I wouldn’t match it, because the job would only last long enough to get through the warranty .

Their reply: if we did it your way, we wouldn’t make any money on the vehicles!

le sigh.

The way I see it, if you buy something with the intent to sell it for a profit,

It is your responsibility to first ensure you are making a good purchase. If you didn’t make a good decision and ended up with something you can’t turn a profit on, then it is your fault and you should take the loss or figure out how to ease the loss. Lies are not an option for me, neither is misleading anyone. This is probably why I have never made any money on any Cruiser I have sold. I have always taken a loss without even counting my time/labor.

That’s why I don’t flip Cruisers.

Cheers

MANY many years ago I started discussions with a very well-known parts vendor about rebuilding transfer cases for them. I gave them a quote, and they told me how much less they were paying for their rebuilds with their then-current supplier. I punched up some numbers in my calculator and told them I knew what they WEREN’T replacing for that price, and that I wouldn’t match it, because the job would only last long enough to get through the warranty .

Their reply: if we did it your way, we wouldn’t make any money on the vehicles!

le sigh.

Yup, used to encounter this all the time with my previous business. I heard it many times,

“Why is your price $10k and the other guys $5k?”

My reply was always, because it is not the same thing you are buying.

I have landed many a job in that career by being the most expensive. We always delivered as well which in turn got me the reputation of being the most expensive but also the best quality.

It seems like integrity is a rare thing these days and everything is about making money. I have always made the making money part #2 not #1. Which is probably why at 48yrs old I am not rich. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

Yup, used to encounter this all the time with my previous business. I heard it many times,

“Why is your price $10k and the other guys $5k?”

My reply was always, because it is not the same thing you are buying.

I have landed many a job in that career by being the most expensive. We always delivered as well which in turn got me the reputation of being the most expensive but also the best quality.

It seems like integrity is a rare thing these days and everything is about making money. I have always made the making money part #2 not #1. Which is probably why at 48yrs old I am not rich. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers
You sir, are in fact "rich", in integrity.

Love this thread! My favorite is "ran when parked". That statement is solid gold.

I once saw a car for sale ad that actually said "Could run". :lol::lol::lol: Like what in the heck does THAT mean, actually?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom