fj40 factory power steering what to do now??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you disassemble the mini truck box... use that as an opportunity to practice not destroying the power piston seals. You can use a dental pick to tuck the seal past the inner edge. The inner edge of the gearbox housing is pretty sharp where it's machined for the power piston cavity and the cross shaft. These edges will destroy the bottom teflon seal of the power piston. I found that tucking the seal while putting a little bit of pressure is enough to get the seals past the edge without damage. I know some people sand that edge before a rebuild to help some people don't.

In my opinion, seating the power piston without destroying the white teflon seal is the hardest part. I also have a pretty reliable trick posted in my rebuild thread regarding installing the teflon seals on the worm shaft without over stretching them.
Yes I have read your thread. Thank you for posting it and for your help.

Getting ready to do my minitruck box in new fj40 casing, thanks for the info. West Texas seems to be the best option I have heard, I am half tempted to do it myself but don’t want to mess up the critical internals, on a first time learning expedition.

On another note, for the early comments on this thread, picked up a telescoping collapsible column the other day, not easy to find. I am thinking this is mostly for “safety” on impaling during crash vs adjustability/ergonomics? Anyone have info on this? See pics below, thanks!:
CA3678ED-F99C-4E0B-B122-2AF1EF4BD66B.jpeg

729C6D9C-621B-49E6-B553-53D052849880.png

Last edited:
Getting ready to do my minitruck box in new fj40 casing, thanks for the info. West Texas seems to be the best option I have heard, I am half tempted to do it myself but don’t want to mess up the critical internals, on a first time learning expedition.

On another note, for the early comments on this thread, picked up a telescoping collapsible column the other day, not easy to find. I am thinking this is mostly for “safety” on impaling during crash vs adjustability? Anyone have info on this? See pics below, thanks!:
View attachment 2786681
View attachment 2786682
I would do it myself. Or send it to Red Head.

On another note, for the early comments on this thread, picked up a telescoping collapsible column the other day, not easy to find. I am thinking this is mostly for “safety” on impaling during crash vs adjustability/ergonomics? Anyone have info on this? See pics below, thanks!:
View attachment 2786681
View attachment 2786682

Pretty sure it’s a safety thing.

IMO it’s well worth the couple hundred bucks to send it off to WTO. They did a great job and had a pretty quick turnaround on my box I had done a couple months ago.

Pretty sure it’s a safety thing.

IMO it’s well worth the couple hundred bucks to send it off to WTO. They did a great job and had a pretty quick turnaround on my box I had done a couple months ago.
Awesome, good to hear. On the phone they seemed to know what they were talking about. Had testing equipment etc for pressure check etc.

Does anyone know about the collapsible steering column if used for safety only or also ergonomics?? I haven’t met anyone that has one…?

Does anyone know about the collapsible steering column if used for safety only or also ergonomics?? I haven’t met anyone that has one…?

Pretty sure it was just for (ahem!) safety. There were no FJ40s with telescoping steering wheels that I know of.

Thanks Steve :) makes sense. Safety first! 🤪 while not being impaled is a nice thought, I’m sure the lack of airbags and plenty of steel to meet forehead, wouldn’t be much of a cloud landing 😬

I have used WTO twice. First time went fine. Second time it came back leaking from day 1. They offered to fix it with shipping on my dime. It was cheaper and quicker to replace the seal myself.

Also, I have heard more than one occasion where they have returned a mini truck box instead of an original fj40 box. Be sure to mark your box well, and check it as soon as it is returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom