FJ40 Evaporative Emission Control Device timeline... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcisland

SILVER Star
Threads
I ordered an OEM gas tank for my year 2/1970 which only has the fill and vent tubes. FSM, all diagrams, and new tank for my year confirm this design.

Old tank:

20171110_181947.jpg

Filler and vent tube:

20171110_182033.jpg

New OEM tank!

20200115_163455.jpg

But when I went to tear apart my seats to refurbish them I was surprised to find this:

20200111_151219.jpg

No gas smell and air flowed freely through all of the lines like it was never hooked up...

20200111_151418.jpg

So Toyota either put them in regardless of being used or my front split seat is not original? Maybe my year was an in between design change?

I will probably keep the tank as is and just use the vented gas cap, but had I seen the Evap tank ahead of time I might have gotten the proper year to match and piped it in. What year tank would have been the first year to use this Evap system?

Keith

My guess someone replaced the seat and didn't remove the emissions tank. Does the latch to fold the seat match the driver's side? 70 had the black plastic T handle while 71 was all metal with a tab bent over on the plate to create a handle. All US 72s had the split back passenger's seat. Have seen both ways on 71, full and split. All 70 were one solid piece.

My guess someone replaced the seat and didn't remove the emissions tank. Does the latch to fold the seat match the driver's side? 70 had the black plastic T handle while 71 was all metal with a tab bent over on the plate to create a handle. All US 72s had the split back passenger's seat. Have seen both ways on 71, full and split. All 70 were one solid piece.

I will have to get out to the shop and check out the seat handles as I can't recall, but I believe they were all steel, no plastic. Need to wait for light as no power with the snow storm we had!

Thanks Living In the Past!

the evaporative-device-containing part of the bench doesn't fold - it's fixed in upright position

to the original poster: when I ordered an OEM gas tank, the only one available was the early model without the outlets for the evaporation device - so I sent it back, and then had to order a later model used (forgot where I got that from), which has the outlets for fuel separator and return on the outside (later model), so Kevin had to custom route the fuel tubes

tank_6-jpg.949738
tank_5-jpg.949737

details on the installation in this thread: the DSRTRDR is getting some TLC . . ., starting at post #756 and following

final result:

tank_16-jpg.949749

Last edited:
the evaporative-device-containing part of the bench doesn't fold - it's fixed in upright position

to the original poster: when I ordered an OEM gas tank, it was only available with the outlets for the evaporation device, but they were at the outside (like in later models), so we had to custom route the tubing

as I look at the picture of your new gas tank, you should be able to hook it up to the existing evap device as well, lemme search for pics how Kevin did it on my truck . . .

Thanks DSRTRDR!

I thought my new tank is missing two steel connection barbs on the opposite side of the filler in order to connect the Evap tank? I will take any advice!

Keith

see pics added to the post above and Kevin's description of the installation work-arounds to make it fit

for what it's worth, Toyota in their infinite wisdom used two different diameters on the three outlets for the evaporation device :rolleyes: - for a while, one of the tubes was leaking at the outlet, until I cinched it down several times, it finally gave up leaking :rolleyes:

see pics added to the post above and Kevin's description of the installation work-arounds to make it fit

for what it's worth, Toyota in their infinite wisdom used two different diameters on the three outlets for the evaporation device :rolleyes: - for a while, one of the tubes was leaking at the outlet, until I cinched it down several times, it finally gave up leaking :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, will read up during dinner!

better after dinner - it's more healthy to eat the meal for it's own sake, and to attend to the eating as a pleasure in itself

not that the reading won't be pleasure, but you can extend the length of your fun activities that way - just sayin'

better after dinner - it's more healthy to eat the meal for it's own sake, and to attend to the eating as a pleasure in itself

not that the reading won't be pleasure, but you can extend the length of your fun activities that way - just sayin'

Helpful, technically supportive, and full of wisdom...🤗...

@DSRTRDR it amazes me Claudia just how many skills Kevin had. He also had a real intuition on our ‘40’s. He lives on here in our mud community! I still think of the day Darlene and I spent with him and what an education that was.

Kevin had a '73 40 himself - it still sits in the yard at his house

to the original poster: when I ordered an OEM gas tank, the only one available was the early model without the outlets for the evaporation device - so I sent it back, and then had to order a later model used (forgot where I got that from), which has the outlets for fuel separator and return on the outside (later model), so Kevin had to custom route the fuel tubes

tank_6-jpg.949738
tank_5-jpg.949737

details on the installation in this thread: the DSRTRDR is getting some TLC . . ., starting at post #756 and following

final result:

tank_16-jpg.949749

It wouldn't be worth the lose of two gallon capacity to use a later tank.

Still personally think either the tank or passenger seat had to be changed. It would have fittings for emissions if this is the original seat. This emissions setup also have another steel tank mounted in the back of the right wheel well. Would look for the mounting holes in the back of the wheel well if still original. Over fifty years a lot of things can be switched out over the years. I have make a lot of changes over the forty five years I've owned my 68.

Did the hose off the tank in the seat back go anywhere or just like pictured. One think I've learned is some people are just plan lazy. If I was removing emissions I would remove the emissions not just leave the tank sitting in the back. Are there any of the emissions on the engine. The plumbing for this emissions involved more the seat tank and fuel tank. Could be wrong but 2/70 seems too every for this setup. SOR used to and may still list the seat covers for two piece back as 72 but two many 71s around with this setup. I parted a 5/71 that had the two piece back seat. I also have one of these seats that was told it cam from a 71. I have also collected a number of the skid plates that protected the tank in the rear wheel well from wrecking years years ago. Some were 71s and 72s but none we 70s.

It wouldn't be worth the lose of two gallon capacity to use a later tank.

Still personally think either the tank or passenger seat had to be changed. It would have fittings for emissions if this is the original seat. This emissions setup also have another steel tank mounted in the back of the right wheel well. Would look for the mounting holes in the back of the wheel well if still original. Over fifty years a lot of things can be switched out over the years. I have make a lot of changes over the forty five years I've owned my 68.

Did the hose off the tank in the seat back go anywhere or just like pictured. One think I've learned is some people are just plan lazy. If I was removing emissions I would remove the emissions not just leave the tank sitting in the back. Are there any of the emissions on the engine. The plumbing for this emissions involved more the seat tank and fuel tank. Could be wrong but 2/70 seems too every for this setup. SOR used to and may still list the seat covers for two piece back as 72 but two many 71s around with this setup. I parted a 5/71 that had the two piece back seat. I also have one of these seats that was told it cam from a 71. I have also collected a number of the skid plates that protected the tank in the rear wheel well from wrecking years years ago. Some were 71s and 72s but none we 70s.

The Evac tank was just that way when I pulled the cover off, the hoses were not connected to anything. There is no sign of any holes in the passenger wheel wells to show there was piping going to a tank, or a tank under the back wheel well, and there was nothing in the engine compartment that had anything to do with emission control - vac hoses, charcoal canister... This and the fact the OEM tank for my year had none of the connectors leads me to believe you are correct and the seat must have been changed out with somebody leaving the Evac tank in. This is fine with me as I like the nostalgia look of the split seat.

So if the early rigs never had any emission control was it all just "controlled" with the vented gas cap that I see mentioned in threads?

20171111_133520.jpg

yours is 100% correct with the emission stuff. mine is a 11/1970 and it has the same split bench as yours with the emission set up in the middle seat. I removed it entirely including the center backing to have easy access to the rear. However, yours is missing a metal bracket that has metal tubing which allows the routing of the hoses behind the passenger's seat. "Kevin," from your post above, did custom house routing to compensate for the lack of that metal tubing .

In the engine compartment, there should be a VSV device mounted on the driver's fender. I also removed that from my system. if you get any fuel smells in your cab or you notice pressure build up in your tank, you can convert to the later style charcoal canister found in 1973+ if you want.

if needed, i can post pictures for you of that metal tubing and VSV emissions device

/this\ is correct - exactly the configuration my truck came in (late '71 build, titled as '72)

the metal tubing was removed from my truck when the new tank went in because the tank outlets were now in a different position

So for a 1970 tank with only the filler and single vent (that ties back into the filler) you must use a vented gas cap?

I am getting some fuel smell in the cab. Looking around under the hood I found what looks to be a missing hose where I am not sure where it is supposed to attach. Tracing it back it leads to the passenger side evaporative emission control device. I assume this is a type of charcoal canister? Does the open end need to be attached somewhere? Engine runs fine. Thanks.

984A844C-D5C3-459C-8947-2CD80E3AECFE.jpeg

79808CFA-060C-4072-85DD-60D922DD733D.jpeg

Bump. Anyone?

I am getting some fuel smell in the cab. Looking around under the hood I found what looks to be a missing hose where I am not sure where it is supposed to attach. Tracing it back it leads to the passenger side evaporative emission control device. I assume this is a type of charcoal canister? Does the open end need to be attached somewhere? Engine runs fine. Thanks.

View attachment 3126867

View attachment 3126868

Underside of aircleaner?

I don’t see anything that it would connect to.

AB722A42-3B99-422C-BCD4-D3D0A0D5A726.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom