fj40 engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys and gals,

I need some help making my mind up.

I have a 75 fj40 and the transfer case is in need of being rebuilt. I also just purchased a 78 fj40 as a parts vehicle. I mainly bought it for the hardtop but it seems just looking at it that the drivetrain is in better shape than my 75 .

it also has the original 2f engine and a po installed a 74 f.5 in my 75. So I am not sure if 2f runs and it does not have a gas tank or ignition switch to test it. Judging on how tight the rest of the drive train is I would say it is in good shape as well.

Im thinking about changing engine trans and tcase in one unit but I need some advise on figuring out how to determine if the 2f is in good shape.
thanks

X2^usernametaken^ - put your battery in it, run a temp fuel line extension, from your '75 to your '78 (or draw from a jerry can - assuming the fuel pump works), hot wire it - if it runs, do a compression test. Search with google - "ih8mud: 2f: hot wire"

My '78 2F has been called 'huffed' at an average of 115psi and I'm driving it - new was 150psi - FSM says 113.?psi ( is the minimum) - all this is in the FSM and you can also google by searching "ih8mud: 2f: compression test"

hth

If compression checks out ok and it runs good I think I will do the swap.

The other option is just replace tranny and tcase but ive heard this is harder than swapping the whole unit.

Plus I want to get the period correct 2f back in it. The f.5 runs good and I was going to rebuild the 2f and then put it in but im looking for the easiest and fastest way to get my rig on the road.

ive had it four months now and have not had it on the road yet..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom