FJ40 Early Gauge Adjustment/Calibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JVZii

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
I hope this is helpful post for all of you pre 1972 FJ40 owners. I looked all around for this on mud and did not see anything about it.

Have you every looked at your cluster and wondered "where the needle for my oil pressure gauge" or is your fuel gauge always at 1/4 tank even when the key is off? Have you looked inside the little hole on the front of the gauge and thought "maybe if I stick a screwdriver in there I can bend something to get the needle where it should be" only to hate yourself a few minutes later (ask me how I know.)

IMG_20210610_154518.jpg

There is a way to adjust the needles. If you pull the cluster and remove the gauge from the housing, on the back of the gauge there is a small hole with a few teeth at the top, those teeth can be moved back and forth to set the resting position of the needle higher or lower on the gauge. I am not sure if this qualifiers as an adjustment or calibration but it is nice to have all of your gauges start from the same position each morning when you start your 40 up.

IMG_20210610_154415__01.jpg

I removed the gauge face on this gauge to show how the gauge mechanism swings on the upper rivet.

IMG_20210610_154340__01.jpg

Put a screw driver into the lower hole and push the teeth to the left or right to get the needle to the resting position that you want.

IMG_20210610_154916.jpg

Once you are done you can rest assured that your gauges still won't work all that well but at least they look pretty in the pictures. :)

Jack

thanks for this info. after making sure my engine temp was correct with a temp gun at the thermostat i made this adjustment for my temp gauge. it really doesn’t take much. i over did it the first time and at operating temp it was only at the far left bar. readjusted it and it now sits just below half at operating temp. better than being pegged all the way right!! this is where i had it set the first time
IMG_7299.jpeg

then after adjusting it again it now sits here with no power
image.jpg

and then when it’s warm with power
IMG_7300.jpeg

Last edited:
Super info! Awesome tech @JVZii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom