FJ40 Dune Beige with Clearcoat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clear coat...

I have a desert beige FJ40 that is starting to look a little dull. I am like you, in that I want to clear coat mine. I'm having an engine/tranny swap going on right now and plan to clear coat it afterward. I talked to a painter who said it's no big deal. Are you looking to have yours painted or looking for one already done?

~EDIT:

Sorry Luke, I wasn't thinking of just spraying over old paint. :doh: Just that base coat clear coat is not a complex system. I do prefer polyurethane to acryllic enamel, though. I've been told it's tougher.

Last edited:
you're not talking about just spraying clear over an existing enamel paint job I hope.
If so you've got a pretty messed up understanding of automotive painting and might well end up with a real mess.

Clearcoats are generally applied as a part of a larger system of coating and is not for doing by itself. The basecoat/clearcoat system is very different from the uerathane or acrylic enamel painting.

My idea is to paint Dune Beige, but I'm curious if I will be disappointed in the final look of the finish. I've been encouraged to use a clearcoat, since I don't plan to spend that much time offroad. But I would like to see a Dune Beige paint job with and without clear coat. I think the finish is one of the most appealing qualities of a FJ40.

Any thoughts/pics would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

Well if you want an "original" finish, don't do base/clear. These trucks were originally painted with regular acrylic enamel. I used urethane enamel when I repainted mine, similiar finish, but more durable. Base clear is nice for street vehicles, but the clear scratches really easily. A friend of mine did his 71 bronco in base clear and now wishes he didn't. He doesn't even really wheel it, but lives on a dirt road.

ken_79-fj40 said:
Well if you want an "original" finish, don't do base/clear. These trucks were originally painted with regular acrylic enamel. I used urethane enamel when I repainted mine, similiar finish, but more durable. Base clear is nice for street vehicles, but the clear scratches really easily. A friend of mine did his 71 bronco in base clear and now wishes he didn't. He doesn't even really wheel it, but lives on a dirt road.

Yeah but he should be able to buff those out alot easier.

Dad did a base clear, for his bronco, and has run it through the brush several times, it still looks really good, it really depends on the quality of the paint job and the brand and hardener you use.

wesintl said:
Yeah but he should be able to buff those out alot easier.

Yes, but you can only buff it just so many times. I painted my truck in my garage, so I had lots of dust/orange peel/ a few runs/ etc. to wet sand and buff out. Wasn't a problem. I do certainly agree that if you plan on buffing, base clear is easier to deal with. And if you put LOTS of clear on, you can wet sand for days. But base clear doesn't really look stock, and it's quite a bit more costly.

Beatin' a dead horse, maybe?

I guess what I don't understand is .... if the original finish was used because of it's durability properties for offroading- assuming one likes that finish .... what's the downside whether you go offroad or not. It seems to me worse case scenario - you have a more durable finish - - the key is whether you like the original finish or not - right? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom