FJ40 DUI distributor, the BB, and timing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1968 F engine that the previous owner put a DUI distributor in. I don't have the instructions for it, and Performance Distributors (the manufacturer) isn't picking up their phones (corona).

Been readying here that DUI wants 12degrees btdc? Anyone have instructions to verify??

And the BB is already at 7 degrees btdc---so I dial the timing gun to 5 (7+5+12)????? time on the BB again???

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

cant tell you much about what timing the DUI wants, but if you are using an advance gun, then setting the gun to +5 and lining up with the BB will be 12 degrees.
If it is hard to start or pings, dial it back a bit.

Thanks Lymerock,
I have found some threads about installation of the DUI, it seems the manufacturer wants 12 btdc..... I went to their website, it has a "click here" for installations instructions, but its a dead link, so was hoping someone here had done one recently.

12 degrees is at the high end of what I read guys running for static timing (generally). but wont hurt anything to set it there and give it a try.
I run 9, but I am at sea level and traded my points for pertronix so not apples to apples

I have my 76 2F with a dUI @ 7deg. Runs well.

Sounds like it. Within the range you have adjusted, it usually should not affect idle. What are your idling symptoms? Does not stay at idle?

So its the 68 that had a rusted out header with holes in it and a GM Rochester carb....it drove just enough to get it on the trailer. I have gone to a 72 2 barrel intake, and stock cast iron exhaust manifold, rebuilt carb. It start rough, loud hiss and backfires. It will only start and run with the choke partially pulled....I've tried the starting fluid around the normal suspect areas, can't find a vacuum leak. Can't diagnose an exhaust leak as of yet....it's a new to the engine intake/exhaust manifold set up so......

1968 F engine that the previous owner put a DUI distributor in. I don't have the instructions for it, and Performance Distributors (the manufacturer) isn't picking up their phones (corona).

Been readying here that DUI wants 12degrees btdc? Anyone have instructions to verify??

And the BB is already at 7 degrees btdc---so I dial the timing gun to 5 (7+5+12)????? time on the BB again???

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

12* BTDC : place the BB at the bottom of the timing window and you’re real close to 12* BTDC.

I run my ‘78 at 12* BTDC, plugs gapped at .050”... runs perfect.

Has this ever run right since you’ve had it? e.g....

Do you know the dissy is properly stabbed?

Do you have oil pressure?​

Does the DUI have a Toyota gear?​

It sounds like timing/vacuum leak... is the hiss and backfire thru the carb?

I’d make sure your timing is right first...

Has the DUI been removed and re-stabbed?​

Any chance you are 180* off, or even a tooth or two off?​

For vacuum leak..,

Does your DUI include the vacuum advance module?​

Is the advance module properly connected to vacuum?​
Have you checked the advance module itself for a vacuum leak?​

Are your intake/exhaust/head properly/securely mated? You’ve checked them for vacuum leak, yes?​

Have you checked for vacuum leak between the carb and head?​

My timing is hanging steady a 12 degrees. I actually think I have a vacuum/intake leak that I just can't find. I should have mentioned that along with new carb, it also got a new intake/exhaust manifold.......I've tried the spray carb cleaner/starting fluid around the suspect areas....no change in RPM. Is there another method???

Just started to investigate more on my DUI installed by the PO. I spoke with Gene at Performance today, very responsive to email. There are two numbers engraved on the bottom of the housing. The one with the pound sign is the ID# and the other is the total advance for that distributor. If you give them the ID# they can tell you what that distributor was built for and its curve settings. I also did not have any instructions so Gene sent me a .pdf attachment with them (attached).

Cheers

Attachments

• DUI Instructions.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 311
My timing is hanging steady a 12 degrees. I actually think I have a vacuum/intake leak that I just can't find. I should have mentioned that along with new carb, it also got a new intake/exhaust manifold.......I've tried the spray carb cleaner/starting fluid around the suspect areas....no change in RPM. Is there another method???

I don’t suppose you or someone else could post photos? This is the first thread I found in my search but I seem to be on track.

12* BTDC : place the BB at the bottom of the timing window and you’re real close to 12* BTDC.

I run my ‘78 at 12* BTDC, plugs gapped at .050”... runs perfect.
When you say timing window and BB you mean the marker should be in the lower corner?

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom