fj40 DD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pre-retrofit I drive mine approx 5 miles to work, drives fine and diesel so while expensive to fill for the present don't fill often.

Yeah, I'm a stock 3B. Lets be honest, in the morning you could merge onto 101 at a brisk walk. That aside, I've never had trouble merging, even when traffic is moving. Sometimes I get on at a bit below the speed of traffic, but never had a dangerous speed-bump moment. I'm on 31's. A 60 might be a bit heavier though...?

I swear I have the best commute in the bay area. For some reason there is almost never traffic on 101 north between Marsh and 92. The Marsh merge is usually at about 60 mph and it's short, so the 2F has its work cut out for it. Plus the exit ramp sometimes jams up, giving you even less room to get up to speed. Like I said, better than coffee.

60's are about a half-ton heavier. At 90 hp and 160 lb/ft. I would see a turbo in the future of that engine.

One other thought on DD'ing: your tires will make a big difference. I have MT's that the PO put on and, at speed, they are almost as loud as my transmission. Since I wheel about twice a year I've been meaning (but too cheap) to switch to AT's.

Cheers,
prat

I DD my 40 also. About 35 miles a day. V8, on 35 AT's. Yeah, the price at the pump sure does hurt. Not sure how much longer I can do it. When the prices hit $4 a gallon, I might have to think about getting a little car to drive to work...

Shawn

DD a 40?!? You gotta be nuts. Not enough legroom, too bouncy, too noisy.
Now a 55 on the other hand, is perfect. I got no trouble merging, people get out of my way. I Cruise at 55 and people go around me. They don't honk and they don't flip me off. Drive a badass rig and the road is yours.

I too daily drive mine. I'm retired so going to work is no longer necessary as far as a mandatory commute. For around town, when the weather cooperates, I take the motorcycle and save gas. My friends swear that I'm going to sell my 40 when gas hits $4.00/gal. I think NOT!!

I DD mine (9 mile commute). I've got a stock 2F, 4.11's and 32x11.5 boots; I have been known to get 16-17mpg with an easy foot. You'll have to ask Jim C. what sort of voodoo he worked on the carb... :D

My rig has been a DD and a long distance traveller as well for the past 2.5 years.
I love driving it rain or shine, or when its -25c !

33's with a 4inch lift and all stock drivetrain.
wouldn't trade for anything else. :steer:

My 76 isn't a cream puff, but I can't stop for gas or at a convenience store without someone commenting on it....Its a lifestyle...noisy, bad mileage, all the other bs...nothing I would rather drive! 06 F150 supercrew lariat 4x4 sits in the drive

Yep, been my DD since I bought it. Now she sits on 35s and gets around 9 mpg or so if I'm lucky. I get excited about it every time I walk up to it though still so I guess it just works for me.

Man is it tiring at times though cuz it's a lot of pushing and pulling of levers and s*** all day so when I need a break I'll take the wifes car for part of the day.
:steer:

My [insert model here] isn't a cream puff, but I can't stop for gas or at a convenience store without someone commenting on it....Its a lifestyle...noisy, bad mileage, all the other bs...nothing I would rather drive!

Fixed it for........EVERYBODY!:bounce:

DD for 15 years now.

Back in...

Yep.
Mine's driven daily to work as well... sucky part is going into the parking garage with a RHD though!

Jamie

Just drive into the lot backwards and RHD is no longer a problem:D

I DD mine. I live close to work now so gas only costs me $100/month even though it is now costing approx. $5/gallon.

Friends have equated me pulling out onto the highway as being on a roller-coaster. Adreniline rush for a different reason (300+ hp) ;)

And before someone says I can't drive it off road it will idle along up a mild slope in fourth gear at 10 mph.

I Drive mine every day. I only put on about 6-10 miles a day in it during the week. I never have to wait in traffic either. I feel bad for you guys in the big Cities.

Weekends are a different story due to the countless Number of trails within 10 miles of my house. Nothing beats the looks of people and the conversations that are started up because of our strange and unique 40's. People comment or ask about it all the time. Beats a J**p any day.

drives me to work and around town every day because the 40 is my economy car. it gets 15-17 while my truck gets 8-10. yeah it rides bad and is loud but its alot of fun. ive driven on the interstate for 3 hours in 100 degree heat and on the highway for 2 and a half hours in the snow with soft doors and a bikini top, i think its all part of the fun of owning a cruiser. the guys at the lot always picked on me for having wind blown hair and always knew when i drove the cruiser to work. now that i have a soft top its darn near a luxury vehicle!

I dd mine about 6 miles every day, city driving, I've only had it about 2 months but I love it! But I try to ride my bike every once in a while when the weather is ok. Nothing beats the 40 though, even with the 10 mpg, exhaust smell and rough ride! I am addicted. :)

Bout to park my 60 and get out my 40.So yep DD em.

I retired mine as a DD (thinking about firing her up again though). I once drove her from coast to coast, from Seattle straight through the guts of NYC to the eastern tip of Long Island. I was deaf afterwards and my calf ached from the mid-town clutch work but to be honest I can't think of a better car to make such a journey in. It saved my ass once on that trip when I got caught off guard at night in a flash flood/mud thunderstorm near a river in Montana.

With these gas prices, my 40 is nearing the end of its 2 year streak of being my only dd vehicle.

What this thread boils down to is are you a real Guy and can handle a some road noise, a bit of a bumpy ride, and a that faint smell of exhaust coming through the back window. Or do you have a hatchet wound between your legs, therefore, you are going to bring it like a bitch and shoud have never bought a 40 in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom