Fj40 Custom Tailgate Latches (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done a lot of searching but can only find pics, no parts descriptions. I am looking at converting a fixed tailgate to a hinged tailgate and like the look of these latches. I am thinking they are off an FJ45 tailgate... does anyone have any info on something like this? Thanks!
ebay212867.jpg

you're in luck. I'm a few months behind but about to finish up a limited production run of these. Probably won't do them again afterwards.

50F9CA80-4E73-491F-944C-80115E394073.jpeg

you're in luck. I'm a few months behind but about to finish up a limited production run of these. Probably won't do them again afterwards.

View attachment 3312866
Looks good, I will take 3 of them (hinges) if they are available.

The latches are oe...one side is still available new, the other side is NLA....but if you're good with a grinder and welder you can make one from the other.

Looks good, I will take 3 of them (hinges) if they are available.

Sorry, re read and realized you were asking about latches, not hinges :doh:

As Brian sad the right-side latches are available new (I have them in stock). I also have a few left-side latches in decent shape, and one or two NOS for perfect reference

34A109A2-3EFC-46EE-B09D-971E4DAD04E9.jpeg

49A0EAA0-D97F-4251-8989-5DFF557A0540.jpeg

Sorry, re read and realized you were asking about latches, not hinges :doh:

As Brian sad the right-side latches are available new (I have them in stock). I also have a few left-side latches in decent shape, and one or two NOS for perfect reference

View attachment 3312925

View attachment 3312926
I was actually looking for both, so I would need a right, left and 3 hinges.

The left side latch not the catch are the same as the 75/76 spare tire carriers. RHD markets barn doors opened the opposite way. Those would have the latch as well. This was either a 75 or 76 in Australia. It's gone now.
P1050858.JPG

What do you mean by gone, it looks perfectly repairable, just a few panels and such.......:)

I was actually looking for both, so I would need a right, left and 3 hinges.

You are in luck again. It's been done and documented! 11-1/2 years ago!

I have this setup on my 1972. Right latch does interfere w the spare tire carrier, assuming why there was none when I bought it. I need to fix some rust on it, but wouldn't trade this setup for barn doors.

View attachment 3312866
Your hinge replica looks great! I am considering mounting a Real Steel tailgate on my 78. Do you have 3 hinges available?
Screenshot_20240131_194452_Chrome.jpg

Has anyone mounted one of these?

Your hinge replica looks great! I am considering mounting a Real Steel tailgate on my 78. Do you have 3 hinges available?
Has anyone mounted one of these?

I’m in progress on this one. It’s actually the reason I made the hinges to begin with.
Yes, I can make more of them. Please PM me or order on my website.
3-week lead time. I think I raised the price a bit as well.

9ED05C50-B66D-4033-8406-8F3A17A717B5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom