Wanted FJ40 clutch slave cylinder boot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m putting an SM465 in my 40 and the slave cylinder boot has a few cuts in it. Does anyone have a cheap extra that’s in better condition? It’s a ‘76 FJ40 in the unlikely event that it matters.

Cheers,

Mike

I might have a good one for you, but it's at my place in New Mexico - will be back there in about three days.

Dang, don’t talk about my homeland. I’m a native from Las Cruces. My wife and I miss NM, especially in February in the mid south.

Just let me know if you find something.

Thanks!

Mike

I lived in Las Cruces while at NMSU for six years. It is nice there this time of year. Love the hiking and climbing in the Organ Mountains.

I know the Organs and southern NM in general very well. I graduated from NMSU in 1993, but spent my childhood roaming southern NM.

Where do you live now? My wife and I both are native New Mexicans. We moved to west TN 19 years ago from Los Alamos. We still have a lot of family back in NM and get back there fairly often.

Cheers,

Mike

We live in Los Alamos, my wife and I both grew up there starting in the mid- to late '50s. We both lived there before the main gate was opened in February 1957, until then everyone coming into town had to have a pass to get in. IIRC, the old main gate building would have been De Colores (Philomena's before that) when you moved away.

Here's what it used to look like:

1582431445627.png

I remember De Colores. I'll bet there are several folks that we both know. I was a postdoc in T division from 1998-2001. Those were some tough years to be at the lab. Are you still at the lab?

I was in DX-Division during that time frame - subcritical experiments and the DARHT accelerator. I went over to the dark side (Livermore) at the end of 2005, just before the new contract started. When the budget for my project bit the dust in 2008 I went over to the dark side again (DOE). Retired for good 6-1/2 years ago - more time to work on Land Cruisers :).

Gotcha. So, do you split time between CA and NM now?

Also, here’s a pic of my 40 that I bought in Albuquerque when I first got it to White Rock in 1998. After a year or so of work, I got it running and I used to go 4 wheeling in the canyons around Los Alamos. Do you know the truck in that pic?

F342F071-67AD-414D-AFE7-25C83C0C5F3C.jpeg

B57F38EF-1F9E-443C-9E36-BA018CE79B36.jpeg

I never worked in CA, just NV and NM. I was the only Livermore permanent party employee in Los Alamos (it was kind of strange after working for Los Alamos for 21 years, I even had a Los Alamos Group Leader). I worked for Livermore in NV also, when I changed jobs out there my new office was right across the parking lot from my old office.

I remember seeing your FJ40 around town. I didn't know PabloCruise spent time in Los Alamos.

I never worked in CA, just NV and NM. I was the only Livermore permanent party employee in Los Alamos (it was kind of strange after working for Los Alamos for 21 years, I even had a Los Alamos Group Leader). I worked for Livermore in NV also, when I changed jobs out there my new office was right across the parking lot from my old office.

I remember seeing your FJ40 around town. I didn't know PabloCruise spent time in Los Alamos.

I was just a punk intern, and then a contractor who didn't get renewed. - '99 & '01. I got engaged during that time, my wife and I wonder how our lives would look now if that contract got renewed.

There was a guy in town that had a zebra-stripe 40, I can't remember his name. I just got my 40 running in '01, I will have to pull pictures of it when I was down there.

Good times!

Do either of you recognize the brown 40 in the pic above? I 4 wheeled with that guy a few times and I can’t remember his name.

That almost looks like Mark Hoverson's '76 FJ40. I worked with Mark in DX-Division. I swapped him a 3-speed transfer case for an H41 4-speed. He lived in Eastern Area, pretty much right across the street from Canyon School.

He may have rebuilt it to this (probably with the same 3-speed transfer case I swapped him for):

Yes, that's him in the pic. I now remember his name and he did live right over there by the HIlltop House, if that place is still around.

Boy did this post ever go from wanting a rubber boot to chit chat in a hurry, sooooo did you ever get your boot ???

I just dropped it off at the Post Office less than an hour ago. Chit-chat has already continued via PM :).

Also, do you know @PabloCruise ? He also spent time in Los Alamos.

I thought I had a picture of the 40 by the Los Alamos sign, but no dice.
The best I can do is this shot at the park in White Rock, 2002 or '03.
She didn't look too bad then!

The_landcruiser[1].jpg

Yep, the White Rock Overlook. The opening panoramic scene from Silverado was filmed there. When I was a kid back in '64 we used to ride our bikes all the way out there on old dirt roads, then climb down the cliffs and hike down to the Rio Grande.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom