Fj40 Clunk when release clutch.. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's a cone shaped cover on the back of the t/case, its usually black. You remove the cover and tighten & stake the nut. It's not uncommon for that nut to loosen up, and when it does, it creates slop in the driveline.
Thank you... That's where I'm headed next..

Found these on the web

s-l1000.jpg

tomstcasesaver.jpg

i chased the clunk sound also and it was the nut under the cover.
I pulled entire t case and trans replaced clutch and other things.
Only to find out later it was the Nut loose.
My truck 80FJ40

i chased the clunk sound also and it was the nut under the cover.
I pulled entire t case and trans replaced clutch and other things.
Only to find out later it was the Nut loose.
My truck 80FJ40
Before I take off the nose cone, Do you know if the tranny gear oil will pour out? And do I need a new gasket to put nose cone back on? Thanks in advance... Tearing into it this evening.

A little gear lube may drip, it shouldn't be much. There is suppose to be a gasket, but you probably can just clean the surfaces up and use permatex, or get some gasket paper and make one..

Nope, Been too busy with work and kids. I think I've narrowed it down to the rear locker though. Im hoping to inspect/remove rear locker, reinstall stock gears, and go from there. Was getting frustrated, so I had to walk away for a few days.. Will report back once I get some garage time.. Thanks for checking

@MJM tightening that nut under the nose cover on the back of t-case; do I need to have the tranny in gear when tightening?? Thanks

Nope, Been too busy with work and kids. I think I've narrowed it down to the rear locker though. Im hoping to inspect/remove rear locker, reinstall stock gears, and go from there. Was getting frustrated, so I had to walk away for a few days.. Will report back once I get some garage time.. Thanks for checking

How can the noise be the rear locker if the clunk still exists with the rear driveshaft removed? I agree with others that you should investigate the transfer case.

Removing the cone on the back of the t-case to check the transmission output shaft nut will not result in a bunch of gear oil dumping out. The cone is located above the drain plug so there should not be much oil up there. You should be able to get the cone off with the drivetrain still in the truck. On my 1972, the nut back there also had a tab lock washer on it that you may have to replace if it looks to be in bad shape. As mentioned above, there is a cork gasket that comes off but you should be able to replace that with permatex ultra back or toyota FIPG.

@MJM tightening that nut under the nose cover on the back of t-case; do I need to have the tranny in gear when tightening?? Thanks

Either have the trans in high gear, or you may need to remove the rear driveshaft and attach a pinion yoke tool to the back of the parking drum assembly and brace the tool against the ground or the truck frame.

IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG
Here is what I found. That big nut is not loose at all-I could not tighten it a bit. I was expecting a castle but with a cotter pin, not what I found.

Gear oil looks clean and balls look to be in good shape-did that sound right???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom