FJ40 Buyer caution Tampa Bay Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Toyota Land Cruiser 1971 FJ40

Just a word of caution for anyone taking a look at this truck. Had a few guys knock on my door after passing my 40 parked out front. They approached like any other cruiser lover but quickly insisted I "put a price on it" and all other goodies I have. I told them nothing was for sale. Eventually I threw out some ridiculous numbers trying to move the conversation on to tech. We talked, and one man showed me these same pictures in the Craiglist ad when talking about his 40. Just before pulling away the second man, who never got out of their pickup, said sorry your price is too high for them to make any profit on a flip.

I was shocked and speechless. He decided the vehicle I'm most proud of is a flip without even taking a walk around it? Why would be sorry for not wanting to buy a vehicle that's not for sale? They were polite, friendly, smiled and all, but they left me feeling pretty weird. I'm used to people taking pictures, leaving notes, other owners stopping to chat and so on. This was the first time that I moved the 40 into to the garage when I usually leave it outside and unlocked on a nice day. Just lots of bad vibes here.

Buyer beware and local owners beware. A word to these guys if they are legit and happen to be here on Mud; a change of approach and more honesty would be a good thing.

I'd be worried that they were scoping out your vehicle

What part of Tampa was this in? A similar thing happened to me at my old house in Brandon around 2005ish. I was restoring mine parked in the garage and heard voices in my garage and found two men in my garage looking over my FJ40 and my Porsche 944 I was working on. A real uneasy feeling and vibe I got from them as if they were scoping out garage. They left once I cam out with a pistol in my hand...lol The Porsche I sold shortly after and the FJ40 I took to my Dad’s place in Jacksonville that was later “stolen” after my Dad passed in 2013. I say stolen because it was parked in the backyard several weeks before he died and gone after the funeral. Probably by s***head nephew

This was near the Hyde Park area. I moved and now leave the 40 almost exclusively in the garage.

I don’t think they looking to steal it, just that it was shady. The first guy pretended to have a genuine interest but is super pushy, the second admits they flip vehicles.

The thread headline reads buyer caution. It was regarding a Craigslist ad no longer valid. I used caution as a weaker word than beware. I don’t know if anyone here was even interested in the vehicle.

They gave me a bad vibe, and between the two said opposite things to me. I’ve never seen them around before or since. Maybe they were casing the 40, maybe not. I lean towards not now, but don’t care.

Thanks for looking after my butt, I guess. It’s not hurt.

What’s wrong with being offended by dishonesty and rudeness? That’s rhetorical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom