FJ40 build concept - ZOOM discussion (6-17-21 @8PM Central) I'd love your help and participation, PLEASE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CCA

Threads
I pitched the idea of a build discussion via zoom in another thread. You can read it here --->Zoom discussion for help planning an FJ40 build? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/zoom-discussion-for-help-planning-an-fj40-build.1254242/#post-13896172

I've set up an hour zoom link that includes video/audio. I'll record it, load it up to YouTube, and offer the link here when completed. I took some of the suggestions I was offered in the other thread.

Topic: My first FJ40 build parameters and hopes.
Background: I have fab and welding experience and was a truck and equipment tech for a number of years. I'm new to the FJ40 though. I want to do this over the course of a few years with my kids, 11 and 7.
Preferences: I'd like to end up with a 74' if possible, but that's not a deal-breaker at all. If I found the right core vehicle, the overall package value would speak volumes over the manufacturing date. I'd like to find an SBC swapped vehicle, but have questions about subsequent drivetrain mods/considerations. If the vehicle doesn't have a SBC, I'll swap it. I'm fine with the FJ40 axles most likely, but have questions about them. I'll add power steering if the vehicle doesn't have it. Smaller items like suspension, shackle reversion, etc. will be concerns, but I have many questions about them. I won't likely remove the top. My wife wanted a bikini top, but she's a priss, so the noise and the wind won't suit her well no matter what she thinks. I even considered an overland style or safari-style ladder system with an overhead rack. You could probably help me formulate those thoughts. I'll want to put a tilt steering column in. Winch? I know almost nothing about them, so I'll appreciate those comments from others. The seating will be altered as well.

I'll start the zoom with an introduction of myself and the intended purpose of the initial discussion.

It is important to remember that even though I'm "leading" a discussion, I'm actually just an organizer in this zoom function. I'm hoping to be lead through portions of this, as I'm asking a lot of questions about things I only have a cursory understanding of in many cases and hope to build some relationships with the others here. I've been part of really great forums in the past and some of my favorite people have been met through forum functions like this.

My daughter, 11, wanted to join us for this but will be at Grandma's house staying over. If this goes well, maybe we can do more, in which case she'll join. She is making up a list of questions I'm supposed to ask. ;)

I'm not going to offer the zoom link in public. Sorry folks, but there's too much calamity associated with leaving those out in the open. I respectfully ask you don't share it in public either.

Again, 8PM central time, this Thursday, June 17th. PM me for the zoom link.

THANK YOU!

-Michael

Sounds like you have this planned really well. I'll be there.

Looks like we're on target for Thursday night. I've responded to the messages I've been sent and also proactively sent some out to people who mentioned interest the other day. Anyone else looking to hop on the vid/call is welcome. I have room left.

-Michael

Starting soon. Wish us luck. I'll have the vid loaded to youtube and up within 24hrs of completion unless something goes awry.

-Michael

All done. Going to need to edit the vid a smidgen, but I'll have it up as soon as I can.

Had a great discussion. Made a couple of new buddies. Talked about some things that really helped shape my vision.

I was hoping all along to gain enough perspective to measure twice and cut once on this project, and I think I'm a little closer. THANKS!

All done. Going to need to edit the vid a smidgen, but I'll have it up as soon as I can.

Had a great discussion. Made a couple of new buddies. Talked about some things that really helped shape my vision.

I was hoping all along to gain enough perspective to measure twice and cut once on this project, and I think I'm a little closer. THANKS!
Hi Michael, sorry I could not make the meeting.....especially after confirming I would be there :bang:. Sounds like it went well and you were able to bounce your ideas off other folks who were able to provide feedback. Glad it worked out for you. Keep me in mind for the next one, if there is a next one.

Thanks

Sorry I joined late, but I am glad I got to talk with you guys!

Sorry I missed this🙄. Lots going on lately.

So much for having the vid up in 24 hours... LOL. Life got in the way, but I have the vid edited. Sorry guys, but there was some secret squirrel stuff in there one of the guys didn't end up wanting to share with the world just yet. ;) So, I cut that portion of the discussion out.

I'm finishing it now. Hold tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom