FJ40 Body Shape.. Is it my imagination?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not any sort of FJ40 aficionado, otherwise I would know this. But how did the FJ40's body shape change over the years?

The thing I seem to notice is the front end/hood area. It seems that in the later years the hood area was higher off the wheel flares, but the front end was shorter overall?

I'm just speculating.. But there are FJ40's I just LOVE the look of and others I don't love the look of. I can't quite pin down the exact differences, but I know it comes down to the front end. It seems that sometimes the front ends look bulky, other times they look sleek and slim (lower).

I know, I sound crazy.

You can bolt a 1962 hood on a 1983 cruiser..

A lift and big tires makes the whole body look smaller.
That might be what you are seeing.

The early 40s had a hood strip that made them look a little taller but the hood itself is the same size. the only difference was the early ones had a seam up the middle.

The early 40s had a hood strip that made them look a little taller but the hood itself is the same size. the only difference was the early ones had a seam up the middle.

the two pc hoods are lower in the front than the one pc.

Bib, bezel, indicators, bonnet.

79+ have the different bib and bezel, they also have a rain gutter in front of the doors that goes to the bottom of the rockers. They also have a different floor pan with the gas tank under the floor rather than inside the cab under the seats.

Whoops didn't mean to send that quite yet..

Yeah I was thinking the 40 I just bought seemed boxier in front. But I'm actually quite glad the bodies haven't changed over the years. I personally am not a fan of big lifts. I like the big tires, but not the big lifts. I'm thinking what I am seeing is that it gives a bit of a different look and I'm associating it with the body somewhat rather than the stance of the vehicle.

My 40 has a bit taller lift than I'd like. So I'm curious.. I've never messed with lifts or suspensions before, and I'm new to Land Cruisers. Are there leaf spring packs both back and front on these? Normally I would walk outside and look, but I'm at work now for 24 hours..

Thanks

Are there leaf spring packs both back and front on these? Normally I would walk outside and look, but I'm at work now for 24 hours..

Thanks

not only front and rear, but both on the left and right side as well.

not only front and rear, but both on the left and right side as well.
Thank you.
So is it possible (and advisable) to simply remove a couple leaf springs from the pack to lower an inch or so? There are at least 5 in the pack. Like I said before, I don't know suspension, but am very willing to learn and work on it myself. I've just always pictured unbolting something down there and having heavy metal bits fly out like a jack in the box.

Better to get proper springs.

And a pic would help considerably

Yeah, like gay guy said, we need pics.

My 40 has a bit taller lift than I'd like. So I'm curious.. I've never messed with lifts or suspensions before, and I'm new to Land Cruisers. Are there leaf spring packs both back and front on these? Normally I would walk outside and look, but I'm at work now for 24 hours..

Thanks

It all depends on how your lift was done. It could be as simple as shorter shackles... or very complex if it has a spring over axle lift.
How tall is your 40? 6'4... 6'8"?

Pictures of truck, spring packs, shackles... would help.

It all depends on how your lift was done. It could be as simple as shorter shackles... or very complex if it has a spring over axle lift.
How tall is your 40? 6'4... 6'8"?

Pictures of truck, spring packs, shackles... would help.
I'll post pics shortly. Where do you measure from?

Honestly I would like to lower the front end a bit. I've never really liked the look of the cruisers that have the front end higher than the rear - the wheelie look. Mine's got a bit of that. Looks good, but if it wouldn't be tough to tweek it might be cool. I think it compliments the tires to have the lift not too extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom