FJ40 Body Compatibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate some help. I have a very good 1970 FJ40 original metal body and would like to know if it will fit on a 1978 FJ40 frame? Thanks, in advance for any help.

Regards,

Alex

Welcome.

Yes it will use the same mounting provisions as the 1978.

Any modifications or a straight forward bolt on?

The body will bolt right on, hood fenders and bib, too. The fun will come when you start putting on doors and the window frame. Modifications are minor but take some creativity to do a sanitary job(i.e. door latches, barn door v. ambi doors etc.) I have sheet metal from four years spanning '72 - '79. Enjoy.

I have a 73 body on a 78 frame but my hardtop is a 81 and I converted the top to the rear lift gate instead of amby doors. They are correct about the tub sitting right on the chassis but my doors and windshield frame were the culprits. Good luck!

Depending on when in 1970 the tub was made you might need to modify the fire wall for the brake booster. The front floor is different on the pre 73 models and the four speed will be a little in this tub will have small clearance issues on the back side wherethe transfer case meets the back of the transmission hump. Gas pedal will operate off cable instead of linkage. Depending on how bad the 78 tub is you might able to rob the parts you need to go back to stock linkage.

Depending on when in 1970 the tub was made you might need to modify the fire wall for the brake booster. The front floor is different on the pre 73 models and the four speed will be a little in this tub will have small clearance issues on the back side wherethe transfer case meets the back of the transmission hump. Gas pedal will operate off cable instead of linkage. Depending on how bad the 78 tub is you might able to rob the parts you need to go back to stock linkage.
I had to fab the gas pedal/steering column on mine but its tight and works great. 72 tub on 78 frame and drive train. Converted rear hatch (my preference, instead of barn doors). Minor fabbing and works great.
040111 steeringcustomgaspedealbracket.jpg
reartaillights5.jpg

Thanks, for all your input. I really do appreciate it. I was considering buying a 1978 FJ project with: Chevy V8 conversion, suspension and frame done, but with a fiberglass tub. My intention was to utilize the solid metal body from my all original 1970 FJ. I think that I am just going to do a 4 speed floor shift conversion and a 4 wheel disc brake conversion to my FJ. I will then get it painted and wait for a good diesel engine to come along.....

Thanks, for all your input. I really do appreciate it. I was considering buying a 1978 FJ project with: Chevy V8 conversion, suspension and frame done, but with a fiberglass tub. My intention was to utilize the solid metal body from my all original 1970 FJ. I think that I am just going to do a 4 speed floor shift conversion and a 4 wheel disc brake conversion to my FJ. I will then get it painted and wait for a good diesel engine to come along.....

You could just swap in 3B with a 4 or 5 speed and be done with it in one fell swoop.:D

I know a few guys locally here who have a few of them.

Last edited:
PM sent...sounds good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom