FJ40 - Baby Found a New Home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Lumabase 50 Acrylic Urethane sealer went down pretty good. Nice coverage, and sprayed pretty well with my cheap equipment. Hope the paint does as well!!

8F5AB658-FB67-49E3-95A8-A803DCBBC8A4.jpeg
2B6A23E2-B573-4F5C-A2A7-BA9416029F87.jpeg

3FA3ED9E-335B-41CE-8F14-8CE5F92BED44.jpeg

What equipment did you use to spray this?

What equipment did you use to spray this?
I wish I could tell you I have great equipment, but I don't. Entry level only. I used a $25 Harbor Freight purple gun, and my undersized carpenter air compressor. I add an extra 11 gallon receiver tank to boost capacity, so I don't have to wait in between passes.

The PPG Essentials acrylic polyurethane is great paint, but doesn't atomize worth a crap with cheap gun and low pressure. Raised from normal 30# to 40, and made sure I locked down settings after getting it dialed in.

Tack coat, then wet coat with 70% over about 5-10 minutes later gave good coverage and acceptable surface. Since I took so much of it down to bare metal, the object was to properly seal and cover, while getting back to factory color.

I wish I could tell you I have great equipment, but I don't. Entry level only. I used a $25 Harbor Freight purple gun, and my undersized carpenter air compressor. I add an extra 11 gallon receiver tank to boost capacity, so I don't have to wait in between passes.

The PPG Essentials acrylic polyurethane is great paint, but doesn't atomize worth a crap with cheap gun and low pressure. Raised from normal 30# to 40, and made sure I locked down settings after getting it dialed in.

Tack coat, then wet coat with 70% over about 5-10 minutes later gave good coverage and acceptable surface. Since I took so much of it down to bare metal, the object was to properly seal and cover, while getting back to factory color.
Great thanks for the info! Tackling something like this in the future is not out of the realm of possibility.

Well crap, so much for my money-making flip!! The oldest son wanted it for a wedding present for his wife, and she loved it. Gave it to them for actual dollars in it, and labor was a gift!!! Not bad FJ40 for eleven grand, but HE can fix the headlights!!!!

No greater love than a Dad for his son. Now I have to find another one. :)

FB699A8E-A7A5-4664-9314-DCC03C8E9DB7.jpeg
F9295972-B841-4B91-908F-35DD1D3483C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Boy child and his fiancé are excited about their new FJ40. Have been driving it around, and having a great time. When he was little, I taught him that tops come off May 1st, and go back on Oct 1st. He took it to heart!! Pretty good looking, and he already swapped the grill for the one I gave him, and bezel and lights are on their way!!!

tempImageMpHP95.jpg

Well crap, so much for my money-making flip!! The oldest son wanted it for a wedding present for his wife, and she loved it. Gave it to them for actual dollars in it, and labor was a gift!!! Not bad FJ40 for eleven grand, but HE can fix the headlights!!!!

No greater love than a Dad for his son. Now I have to find another one. :)

View attachment 3048341View attachment 3048342
Cruiser Karma at its finest Dad. Nice paint work on a budget.Sooo glad those square lights are gone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom