FJ40 axle swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to this website as well as new to owning an FJ40. This is also my first project vehicle. Do not know if I'm posting in the right place but here goes nothing. I have a 67 fj40 with original axles, original brakes, with a 327 and sm420. My plan is to switch to disk brakes and update the axles. I have only opened up my hubs and axle once to see if it was still a ball and claw axle because the PO knew nothing about the fj. From my understanding a disk brake conversion does not work if I want to keep my stock axles. I have the opportunity to get some fj80 axles for next to nothing in price but would it be worth it to wait to try and find fj60 axles or later year fj40 axles? When I do the axle swap I will also be doing an SOA and switching to a brake booster. Pretty much what I am asking is what is the best but easiest setup? In reality I will not be going balls out rock crawling but I will also not be driving it on the highway. I would like to keep it so I can drive it in town with the top off in summer but also be able to tow it up to the mountains for camping and some light off roading.
Some other questions are:
Are the ball and claw inner axles fit 27 spline birfields?
Will my inner axles fit with a later style outer birfield axle and larger knuckles?
Should I just try to find a complete axle housing off of a later fj40/60 and wheel it under? And If I do that what modifications will I have to do?
Also do I need new drive shafts if I use later fj40/60 axles?

Yes I am new to this and new to doing anything regarding axle swaps and fabrication of any type but we all start and learn from somewhere and someone. Once again I am looking for an easy set up considering that I can find the parts
Thank you.

The easiest way is to get later year 40 front disc diff, just straight bolt in no hassles, an 80 series booster and a rear disc kit from Poser..

Cheers Gaz......

I will update some pictures tomorrow. Yes power steering don't know what brand I'll post pictures of everything tomorrow. Thank you for the help!

IMG_1376.JPG

Looks like you have saginaw power steering. If you can get a fj80 rear axle for cheap they are nice units. I used one in the back of my cruiser in my build thread. They are wider but that gives more stability which is nice. The toughest part is cutting off all of the fj80 suspension mounts so you can use leaf springs - the factory mounts are welded on really well. For the front I used a fj60 axle widened with a 4plus products housing spacer. If you wanted you could just have them widen a fj60 housing for you. They just widen the short side. With one of their standard spacers the front axle will be 2" narrower than the rear but thats not far off. No one notices on mine and I have not noticed and handling quirks as a result. If you wanted you could have them widen it another 2" to make it the exact same width which i kinda wish I had done just because I was in there anyway. Also it looks like where they modified the crossmember for your saginaw steering box that they hacked it up and weakended it, I would repair that.

Last edited:
X2 on the rear FJ80 axle. Get a 93+ that has disc brakes and go from there. They are tough too. I have a 93' rear in my 40 and it's held up well to lockers, 37"s and a Vortec V8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom