FJ40 and Jeeps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New here ... search didn't turn up any info. Has anyone put a FJ40 body on a jeep TJ frame? Any info., links, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

yikes :confused: why?

or better yet, why would you want to?

welcome newbie :D

2badfjs said:
yikes :confused: why?

or better yet, why would you want to?

welcome newbie :D

I was a little worried about using the J word here :eek:

Suspension ... specifically, to get the Airock airbag suspension under an FJ. I am older, and more than a little arthritic. And the truck sees a lot of highway miles.

Seems like you either put the FJ on the jeep frame ... or you build (in my case, have built) a link suspension and adapt the Airock??? I'm just day dreaming at present but will persue within a couple years.

Any direction and links to shops that do this sort of thing would be appreciated. I have to stress, the on-road ride is what I'm after ... I'm a very moderate wheeler ... to get to out-of-the-way hiking, fishing, away places.

Thanks again for any info.

Building a suspension for the cruiser would be a much better idea.

Making a cruiser fit on a jeep frame would be a bit of a nightmare.

bpnkrtn said:
Any direction and links to shops that do this sort of thing would be appreciated.

Where do you live and how far are you willing to travel to have the work done? There are a number of reputable shops, but the one up the road from me doesn't do you much good if you're in Oklahoma.

e rock said:
Where do you live and how far are you willing to travel to have the work done? There are a number of reputable shops, but the one up the road from me doesn't do you much good if you're in Oklahoma.

I'm an old fart, 5 years from retirement, with difinite thoughts/requirements ... to get what I want ... I'll travel. Aluminun body starts in BC, Canada ... Aqualu. I'm in SC, son in Utah, willing to have/arrange things shipped. Thanks for the reply ... to everyone.

bpnkrtn said:
willing to have/arrange things shipped.

Well, if I was going to let anybody do any suspension work on my cruiser, it would be these guys: S&N Fab. Jason and Trevor are great guys who know their stuff and have worked on Cruisers before. Jason is probably the most knowledgable person I've ever met when it comes to suspension design and he WILL take the time to talk to you about what you want and what can be done.

Here's a shot from their website of a Cruiser with a 3-link, Race Runner coilovers and an AntiRock sway bar.
suspension03.jpg

I'm a bit biased since they're close to home for me, but in my limited experience, that's who I'd go to.

Hi All:

If you want a smooth-riding Land Cruiser buy a 80 Series wagon - comes from the factory with coil suspension. 1993-98 versions come with the 4.5L engines, full floating axles, and four wheel disc brakes. Factory electric locking diffs also a common option. Average price now-a-days is $7000 to $2500, depending upon year, mileage, etc.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

wouldn't ever weaken a cruiser like that, but there was a guy a decade ago or so that put a modified jeep fiberglass body on a cruiser frame when his body rotted out.

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

If you want a smooth-riding Land Cruiser buy a 80 Series wagon - comes from the factory with coil suspension. 1993-98 versions come with the 4.5L engines, full floating axles, and four wheel disc brakes. Factory electric locking diffs also a common option. Average price now-a-days is $7000 to $2500, depending upon year, mileage, etc.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Probably true :) But I like FJ 40's ...

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Not trying to nit pick, but the 80 series ended in 1997. Also, the factory diff lock was NOT a common option and is a highly valued and searched for feature. Finally, average prices are not $7K to $2.5K. To get into a well maintained 80 with factory diff locks and average mileage you're looking at north of $10K in most instances.

Browse the for sale section for reference.

bob an 80 series....

jmo...

I agree with Mace. Ive driven a wrangler and a 74 fj40 with 2.5" suspension lift with shackles. If picking one as a DD I would pick the 40. :cheers: Since my 55 is still a work in progress!!

If you can... get someone to let you drive their 40 on highway so you know how they ride with "stock" setup before traveling down the J**P road. :eek:

Like I said, JMO. My DD is a 97 F150? :whoops:

throw 80 series coils and links under a 40.

that rides nice as.

one old fart to another...

I have considered putting an aluminum FJ45 or FJ40 body on a minitruck chassis, bobbed of course. Its doable. It gets you IFS, longer wheel base, lighter weight over all, disc brakes etc. etc. Add your rear 4 link and you are good. yeah, I know about Solid axle this and that but you can't beat IFS from a ride standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom