FJ40 Ambulance Doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've looked, so sorry if this is a repeat thread... Trying to figure out if there is a difference between pre and post '79 Ambulance doors. I've been told that there is no difference, but I read somewhere else that the corners are not the same. Will a '79 and older set of rear doors fit earlier models? If not a direct bolt-on, what mods need to take place. Considering buying '79 doors to fit my '76 but want to be sure they fit.

Thanks!

Not sure about 76', but I do know that there is quite a bit of fab to make a set of 79s' work on a 74'. The hinge holes are not in the same places, and the edges of the opening are not the same.

Hodag

The outside corners on the 79 and later doors are rounded to match the tub change in 79. I used a set of 77 back doors on my 79 didn't fit great but worked. I think using 79 doors on a 76 would work better but I don't know how well it would seal in the lower outside corners. But the difference is nothing like installing ambulance doors on a 74. A 76 tub is already made for ambulance doors.

John

I have a friend with a 76 that is thinking of getting rid of his ambulance doors to change to a tailgate. Located in Utah let me know if you are interested, I can ask if he wants to sell.

The doors are interchangable from 75 to 83, with the exception of the rounded corner. I always use whichever is the least rusty, and either radius the corner of the earlier door for a late tub with a grinder, or weld a square edge on a radiused door for an earlier tub. Five minutes fab either way, everything else is identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom