Fj40 Aftermarket parts pics and experience. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JVZii

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey All

First, If someone already has a thread like this going let me know. I checked around and did not see any similar threads

I am trying to kick off a thread for aftermarket parts. I have thought about this for years and a recent bad experience finally pushed me to start this.

My take is that everyone that sells aftermarket parts took a single picture of them in 2001 then copied that picture and faxed it to the website.

What I hope is that we can start to get some real pics of what these parts look like. And more importantly what was good and bad about them. I have had good and bad experiences from many different suppliers.

This is not intended to be a bash thread but real examples experiences and what parts really look like.

If we could catalog

* The company
* The part
* How long the lead time was (this can sometimes be the worst part)
* What your opinion is of the part.
* Optionally how the part looked when it was installed or how it was modified to make it work.

I think it would be very helpful for others making a decision on parts.

Thanks
Jack

I will start my own thread off with a couple of simple ones.

*Sor.com
*Glovebox placard
*They ship Ups so the parts arrived quickly. Expensive shipping though.
*The part is not what I thought it would be. It is a sticker. Not an aluminum plate.

IMG_20210921_194300__01.jpg

In Sors defense the listing did say mylar so it was my fault. And with shipping back it's not really worth returning.

What kind of parts are you talking about? Many people on this board use OEM for their 40s, as a lot of parts are still available.

Cool Cruisers
Glovebox placard
Delivered USPS 4 days
This is an aluminum plate with plastic over the printinguch like OEM. The holes for the rivets lined up perfectly. Nice part for a restoration.

IMG_20210921_194349__01.jpg

Here is the part installed with pop rivets from harbor freight. Perfect fit.

oem is screws to the door. little tiny screws.

74+ went to rivets.

oem is screws to the door. little tiny screws.

74+ went to rivets.

Hey thanks I was making this for a friend the later models are rivets but I guess the older ones are screws. You learn something new everyday.

Still looks pretty good though 😎.

Hey thanks I was making this for a friend the later models are rivets but I guess the older ones are screws. You learn something new everyday.

Still looks pretty good though 😎.
yep they are pretty close to OEM, I actually have one of those. I wish they didnt have the CCOT text in the bottom corner.

My nuggets from the smattering of parts used in my resto:

Taiwan Front Fenders (via CCOT):
* Hit and miss...pretty variable QC
* one fender was fairly decent, the other side was pretty off shape-wise (brace was crooked, which pushed the fender into the wrong spot)
* most holes were all off on both, needed redrilling..would be better if they just...wouldn't drill them
* YT vid

HFS Tub (via CCOT):
* same - spotty QC
* whole thread on it here: 3/4 Tub Fitment / Measurement Info Request - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3-4-tub-fitment-measurement-info-request.1241999/
* the steel itself was decent, but fair amount of mis-construction...front floor pans were pretty wonky, which spiraled

SA Front Doors (ebay):
* well, the same - spotty QC
* driver door fit ok...passenger door had a weird bow in it, had to blow out the skin spot welds and press it
* Seller was at least reasonable - was willing to exchange if the pressing didn't fix it
* YT vid

Misc RealSteel Patches
* snagged the bib patch, firewall lowers, and rear doors
* bib lower : fit well enough, but did need some of the mounting flanges extended. why they don't make it wider to start, not sure
* firewall lowers : seemed like the angle was wrong for some reason...ended up cutting and rebending
* rear door lowers : inners were ok, outers were a bit wide. drivers outer was bent wrong for the pinch seams...driver door should only have pinch on two sides, not the center
* YT vid

CityRacer - Misc Rubber bits
* Window seals, windshield gasket, etc...no complaints :-D
* Rear floor mat - had to trim the cutouts in, but seems pretty decent

SOR
* Good for the misc weird bits...just plan ahead though, shipping is a bugger. Good to try to batch things up to help there.

Uncle Toyota
* Still has a lot of parts, and often pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
yep they are pretty close to OEM, I actually have one of those. I wish they didnt have the CCOT text in the bottom corner.
City Racer has the shift plates without his text in the bottom corner. Vintage TEQ may have them also... website is down.

JIS nuts and bolts in stainless or cadmium Overland Metric Overland Metric | JIS Hardware - https://www.overlandmetric.com
McMaster-Carr for miscellaneous JIS nuts, bolts, screws and fittings.
Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers; Georg Esterer; (209) 475-8808; georg@cruiserbrothers.com; www.cruiserbrothers.com for allen fill plugs
Mark's Off-Road Marks Off Road Home Page - http://marksoffroad.net/index2.html for OEM rebuilt carburetor, distributors, glass, weatherstripping and used parts of every nature as well as great technical support.
Mark Algazy (No email only phone) Burbank, CA (818) 953-9230
Vintage TEQ PARTS, VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/ keys, locks, lights, switches, connectors, alternator, voltage regulator as well as a tremendous resource for all things technical.

I try and buy OEM parts when available/viable and aftermarket parts from the vendors on MUD that are trying to fill the void of discontinued OEM parts.

My favorite vendors are Onur, City Racer, Vintage TEQ, Overland Metric, Cruiser Outfitters.
I also like Classic Cruisers and Cruiser Corp.
I have lots of respect to the guys at SOR for their incredibly large parts catalogue and website.

I like CoolerMan for electrical wiring and connections and RealSteel and CCOT for body panels

I have only had one bad experience with a vendor.

Last edited:
Mr. Algazy rebuilt my manual steering box. Works perfectly and looks great. I have Parts from 4 cruisers for my Distributor. And Coolerman and Matt from Vintage Teq have sent me several electrical parts. I have kept my FJ40 on the road for 44 years this month and I don't think that would have been possible without the help and advice from these and other very dedicated vendors/members I have met here on Mud!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom