FJ40 advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sounds like your not really interested in having an FJ40.

And there's little chance that keeping it will turn into any benefit for you. If not stored inside, it will degrade, even if stored inside, things like tires and hoses still oxidize and degrade... Prices do seem to have been going up over the last several years, and IMHO are kinda silly right now. But there's a limited / fixed supply, so prices could always go higher, but I don't think the supply is that low, or demand that high...

The only way it's worth keeping is as a hobby, really. And if that doesn't interest you, there's no logic to keeping it.

Take that basket off the front, and any other odd ranch accessories (winch should stay). And that metal around the radiator, see if that comes off with the radiator still supported. And sell it.

I've seen worse advertised for $15k (or a lot more), don't know how much they sold for, if they sold at all. But It's not a bad price to start at and see how much interest there is. $10k would probably be a pretty quick sale. I doubt you can find many other for sale that run and drive for less than that, even with a chevy I6.

The basket on the front is for carrying deer and hogs. In front keeps the dust off of them. I will cut that off when I can.

That is a Warren PTO winch. It it has 900' of 1/8" cable for dragging deer and hogs out of canyons.

THe radiator shroud was made to accommodate two radiators in series. The engine was bought as rebuilt from a major company that did that kind of work. IT did not cool properly. We tried many things to help, big fan, extra radiator, smaller pulley, nothing helped. We had it up to 290*F and drove it onto a creek. That seems to bust loose whatever was blocking the coolant passage. After that it cooled normally. I removed one radiator.

I have been chief mechanic of this vehicle for 50 years. I have spend countless hours wrenching on it in the backcountry. It has bush fix after bush fix. To make it right will take me hundreds of hours. My hands are losing function due to age. I will have to buy tools. I will have to have it shipped 1000 miles to my new home.

My father had an extreme sentimental attachment to it. He wanted me to have it and to look after it. It leaves me with a dilemma of honoring his wishes. He did not understand how deficient it is and how much he was asking of me.

I think that you have some good reasons why not to keep it but the knowledge of your father wanting you to have it is the only thing holding you back. If you really don't want to spend the money/time to keep it up and running, I would find someone who would make your father proud to take the project on. Be selective in your choice of who to sell it to and hopefully that owner will do right by it. It looks to be in pretty good shape by the pictures so you should be able to get your money back. Otherwise, enjoy owning an awesome head turning vehicle.

Tough predicament to be in, and unfortunately nobody knows your whole story to make a better decision than you. Do what you feel you need to be happy. Good luck whatever you decide.

I appreciate all the responses and interest. I am exploring options and getting educated.

Is there a club or group in Spokane or CDL area for these vehicles?

IF i were to take the project on I will need parts. I know i will need many parts that were thrown away over the years. I am not finding parts on the internet.

Right off I know I need:
-ALL the rubber parts, particularly the gaskets for the windshield and removable top. The few references I have located are crazy expensive. The rubber should be new made, not NOS. Who sells the rubber parts? Do I have to make my own rubber parts?
-Windshield wiper assembly
-Heater box, associated valves (I have sourced heater core)
-Wiring? I need a schematic. I will need new switches everywhere.

I’m in Spokane with 2 other 40’s within 1/4 mile of me. While there is a healthy number of 40’s in the area, the “club” never seems to get organized. I’d be happy to help point you in the right direction if you come up this way.

This is a picture of a Warren PTO winch application on an off-road vehicle I found on the internet. (Edit)
Methinks Scota4570 knows of what he speaks.
M561_GamaGoat_4.jpg

Last edited:
This is a typical Warren PTO winch application on an off-road vehicle.
Methinks Scota4570 knows of what he speaks.
M561_GamaGoat_4.jpg

Never heard of a Warren winch this could be one but also looks close to a Ramsey winch which was pretty common in the US. Think Australia had a Thomas winch that was heavy duty. 900' of cable would take a very large spool. The one picture on this one looks just like my first factory PTO I installed on my 68 FJ40.
001029.jpg

Here is the Ramsey on my 70 FJ40.

The carrot 025.jpg

Never heard of a Warren winch this could be one but also looks close to a Ramsey winch which was pretty common in the US. Think Australia had a Thomas winch that was heavy duty. 900' of cable would take a very large spool. The one picture on this one looks just like my first factory PTO I installed on my 68 FJ40.View attachment 2499349

Here is the Ramsey on my 70 FJ40.

View attachment 2499352
I edited my above post to indicate that the image was one I found on the internet and so needs to be verified.

I am guessing here but maybe Warren - a farm machinery company that makes lots of different PTO equipment -
has something to do with the common United Engineering PTO winch on many military vehicles (and maybe the PO's).

1/8" cable will haul hundreds of pounds of dead animal and comes 1000' on a fairly small spool. Doesn't weigh much either.

Last edited:
My father always referred to the winch as a "Warren PTO" , you all the the experts, I defer to you. The guy may father bought it from in 1973 was a farmer.

There really is 900' of 1/8" aircraft cable on there. We started with 1000' in 1973. It was never intend for pulling vehicles, only 150# carcasses. Where we hunted there were steep canyons. The heat was awful. When you had a deer down 200 yards from the road in a canyon, and it is 95*, this was a great rig to have.

I took the "deer carrier" basket off.

DSCN9613[1].JPG

DSCN9614[1].JPG

DSCN9615[1].JPG

My father always referred to the winch as a "Warren PTO" , you all the the experts, I defer to you. The guy may father bought it from in 1973 was a farmer.

There really is 900' of 1/8" aircraft cable on there. We started with 1000' in 1973. It was never intend for pulling vehicles, only 150# carcasses. Where we hunted there were steep canyons. The heat was awful. When you had a deer down 200 yards from the road in a canyon, and it is 95*, this was a great rig to have.

I took the "deer carrier" basket off.

View attachment 2499381

View attachment 2499382

View attachment 2499383

That is a PTO winch (TEQ on the end) with a much lighter than factory cable. It does have the OEM hook and chain which is for a heavier cable. Just like the winch on the Goma Goat which could be Warren just not designed for a light weight cable.

Was this your father's Land Cruiser? If that is the case and remember this growing up would have thought you would want to keep and maybe built it for how you want to use it.

Those two links are gold! If they really have the parts it changes everything. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

If I am to keep and drive in Northern Idaho I need it to be fully functional. Heat, wipers, door seals and all that good stuff.

The basket is off.

Can I remove the homemade radiator shroud and get good cooling?

"Was this your father's Land Cruiser? If that is the case and remember this growing up would have thought you would want to keep and maybe built it for how you want to use it."

It was. He my bother and I hunted every weekend of deer season for forty years. We made lots of great memories. Sometimes we need to let go of the past.

That be said I do not have room for it at my current house. I will be moving to CDL soon. I will have to ship it up there. I do want a house with a huge garage and a shop. What if that does not happen? Where will I store it? I also have a machine shop to move also . I guess I am overwhelmed by clutter and moving.

Last edited:
^^^^^Then I'd try to find storage until after you move, then enjoy it the rest of your life.

If the 40 is running and registered, is there anything stopping you from parking it in the driveway or on the street?

As easy as these are to hotwire to steal I personally would not park it anywhere people had easy excess to a running FJ40. I carry stated value insurance on my classic cruisers. That way anything happens to have to fight to get what it's worth. One of the requirements is they have to parked in a secure garage.

I can shoe horn it in to my garage but then I can not use the garage. It it just packed to tight. I would not park it on the street. It is to easy to steal. One jumper wire and the ignition is live. Roll it down the hill, pop the clutch and off it goes.

It appears that this truck has significant sentimental value to you. It also sounds like you are a little overwhelmed by moving and other life events. Many folks, myself included, have sold vehicles in a rush when life got hectic, and deeply regretted it later on. On the other hand, you will never regret hanging on to it for a while longer until life slows down and you can look at it with a refreshed point of view. You're moving to Coeur d'Alene? That's one of the more beautiful corners of the world and North Idaho has a lot to offer for backcountry exploration. If it's more than you can deal with right now, just find a sheltered spot to store it for a while, get settled in to your new place, then come back to your decision in the spring. One more thing, parts ARE available, and knowledge and help IS available, it just takes a little work to find both. Good luck to you.

If you decide to keep it, there's a member here that lives in CDL - great guy and wealth of knowledge. @Ben edwards

For what it's worth, some advice I received once: Try not to make a permanent decision based on temporary feelings

@AntFarm has a lot of good thoughts. If it were me I’d keep it and so would most of us here. But to each his own. Trying to read between your posted lines, I’d suggest you sell it.

No offense taken by not wanting a 40...it just doesn’t sound like you want it, or will use it...so why keep it? I don’t know if you can get 15k for it, but it’s a nice looking rig. You might be surprised what you can sell it for.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom