Fj40 Adjusted carb now it won’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I pulled out the timing light to adjust the timing on my 77 fj40 — got that squared away at 10 degrees advanced then proceeded to adjust my mixture/speed screws. While adjusting the mixture screw I took it a bit too low and the engine stalled, now I can’t get it back up and running. It’s an Aisan carb for an 81-87 2f

Is there a good baseline for the idle mixture screw/speed screw to get it started so I can tweak? Speed screw all the way in and mixture screwed out a few turns? Or what’s the best method for tweaking so I can atleast get a rough idle?

Searched the forums and couldnt find really any info here. Kills me because it was running great but I thought I could do better

My approach would be to back off the speed screw so it's not engaging, then give it 1/2 turn. Then screw the idle mixture in just until it closes completely (be gentle or you could damage the needle end), then back it out 3 to 3-1/2 turns. In my experience, that should get it running and you can adjust from there.

The FSM is a invaluable resource for this kind of stuff.

My approach would be to back off the speed screw so it's not engaging, then give it 1/2 turn. Then screw the idle mixture in just until it closes completely (be gentle or you could damage the needle end), then back it out 3 to 3-1/2 turns. In my experience, that should get it running and you can adjust from there.

The FSM is an invaluable resource for this kind of stuff.
I’m sorry may be a dumb question but what do you mean by not engaging on the speed screw?

Just ordered the FSM for future reference, thanks for the suggestion

I’m sorry may be a dumb question but what do you mean by not engaging on the speed screw?

I assume the speed screw you are referring to is on the linkage. It would be backed off to where it just touches the linkage and then screwed in about 1/2 turn.

As you have an 81-87 carb, there could be vacuum lines and smog adjustments that come into play as well. I am not as familiar with later model carbs. My suggestion is a general procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom