Fj40 68 side reflectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
This is the way that i found to take apart thE side reflectors
1.- make a jig with the router
2.- tight the nuts under the jig
3.- push a little
and thats it !!
Now we can send to zInc plate the parts and get the front ring paint!!
IMG_1103.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1107.jpg

Here we only dream about pulling our reflectors off without the studs breaking!:crybaby:

Once again, look forward to seeing the finished product. You'll probably surprise us and tell us you've found some other orange reflector you were able to laser down until it fit in the bezel!:cool:

Best

Mark A.

Thanks mark
this is what i found
you have to use your old reflectors that they will be withe color
then with a orange cany color ( transparent color )
very watered and go coat by coat!!
The good thing , you can use your old frames and go to zinc , and paint the ring.
And the other :
Use the new frame and ring that came on the rear red reflectors!
Best!
IMG_1107.jpg
IMG_1119.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg

Wow,very nice work JAD! You are a pro,my reflectors are not even stock,I don't think.They are just some ramdom store bought that you might put on a bumper or a street sign post marker.

That's cool you are in Guadalajara! Very big city,I was there back in the late 80's.We were on a surf/skate trip and knew a guy that owned a skt./surf shop.There was a big ol' skate park that we rode in the city somewhere.There was also a big wooden 1/2 pipe that we rode.There was a professional skate demo that we were a part of there.A bunch of skaters came down from CA.Fun times,LOTS of good surfing down there on the Mainland coast.I think we bummed around down there for 6-weeks or so...
:cheers: from CA. John

YES DUDE I KNOW THOSE GUYS , THEY WHERE ON THEM BACK YARD AND THEY WHERE GOOD GLAD YOU KNOW MY CITY!!I HAVE FRIENDS IN EL SEGUNDO AND TWO DOORS FROM THEM IS THE CARVER SKATE BOARDS FACTORY I HAVE ONE OF THEM!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:
Wow,very nice work JAD! You are a pro,my reflectors are not even stock,I don't think.They are just some ramdom store bought that you might put on a bumper or a street sign post marker.

That's cool you are in Guadalajara! Very big city,I was there back in the late 80's.We were on a surf/skate trip and knew a guy that owned a skt./surf shop.There was a big ol' skate park that we rode in the city somewhere.There was also a big wooden 1/2 pipe that we rode.There was a professional skate demo that we were a part of there.A bunch of skaters came down from CA.Fun times,LOTS of good surfing down there on the Mainland coast.I think we bummed around down there for 6-weeks or so...
:cheers: from CA. John

Once again, look forward to seeing the finished product. You'll probably surprise us and tell us you've found some other orange reflector you were able to laser down until it fit in the bezel!:cool:

If you send him one good one, cobraboyHB (Chris) can make copies. They're not cheap, but they're _very_ good. These are copies he made for the apron marker lenses from a red side marker lens I sent him. You can't see the Koito logos and other markings, but they're there.

The original I sent him came back to me in 100% condition and is now reinstalled on my rig without any trouble.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts...er-front-apron-marker-lenses-1969-1974-a.html

attachment.php

Last edited:
if you send him one good one, cobraboyhb (chris) can make copies. They're not cheap, but they're _very_ good. These are copies he made for the apron marker lenses from a red side marker lens i sent him. You can't see the koito logos and other markings, but they're there.

The original i sent him came back to me in 100% condition and is not reinstalled on my rig without any trouble.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts...er-front-apron-marker-lenses-1969-1974-a.html

attachment.php
thats good im going to send a good one and see if he can mcopy some !!!

thats good im going to send a good one and see if he can mcopy some !!!

He's a retired guy that does it in his spare time, not a business, so you'll have to ask him nice and work it out with him. Send him an email from his profile and you should get a response. If not, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Here we only dream about pulling our reflectors off without the studs breaking!:crybaby:

I have a few pair of the dual lens turn signals. Was hoping I would have got some of the few replacement made but didn't. Of my four turn signal one had a red lens. Not the greatest shape but since it's all I have didn't want to destroy it getting it out. Believe a PO used something that melted the plastic. No matter what I used it wouldn't come free. Finally dawned on me to use a plastic mallet around the metal edge. That worked like a charm. Before using the stud to try and pull it apart tapping around the edge to break the rust bond might be helpful. Just a thought. Trick is to use something soft enough not to dent the housing but still give it a good shock.

If you send him one good one, cobraboyHB (Chris) can make copies. They're not cheap, but they're _very_ good. These are copies he made for the apron marker lenses from a red side marker lens I sent him. You can't see the Koito logos and other markings, but they're there.

I know this is a old thread but do you know if this guy is still doing this? Getting the dual lenses made would be great. Also the license plate light for the FJ25 while glass, plastic would probably be a better option.

This is the way that i found to take apart thE side reflectors
1.- make a jig with the router
2.- tight the nuts under the jig
3.- push a little
and thats it !!
Now we can send to zInc plate the parts and get the front ring paint!!
View attachment 565105View attachment 565106View attachment 565107
I realise this is a very old post, but I just purchased and am restoring a'68 LC.

This post was very helpful for me to disassemble and repair the side reflectors.

Curious that the front ones on my vehicle are white, not amber as others suggested.

When you repaired yours, did you paint the backing plate under the reflector silver or white? Wondering which would be better. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Your front side reflectors were amber and faded to white over time.
Thanks, not sure the did fade, plastic is in very good condition, and the back side is white as well.

With that said, will try to find some transparent amber paint as suggested in the thread and attempt to paint them.

Any thoughts on paint colour for the metal backing plate?

Thanks, not sure the did fade, plastic is in very good condition, and the back side is white as well.

With that said, will try to find some transparent amber paint as suggested in the thread and attempt to paint them.

Any thoughts on paint colour for the metal backing plate?
Curiosity got the better of me, went to the workshop and looked over the lenses. They are faded from amber, what I thought was rust on the edges were the original colour protected from the sun by the metal ring.

I now need to find some transparent amber paint.

I have two of the amber side fender reflectors for my 1969 FJ55 that all four studs are broke off. Anyway to get these apart to try to retro fit new studs or is there another solution or part source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom