FJ40 4wd rear badge confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just ordered a new 4wd badge and gasket for rear of FJ40. The holes in the rear panel match the posts on the badge but the depth is way off. The post has threads for nuts about half way but then the post widens and wont go thru holes in panel. I assumed this was to accommodate the gasket but even with the gasket on its still about a half to 3/4 inch off the panel. What am I missing?

2EAFA375-E642-42BC-AE31-6FB0A588844F.jpeg

B7389B15-CD11-4469-8176-94D49E94775B.jpeg

BB99DAA3-DE54-46EB-A1D7-5A0656EF352B.jpeg

I guess my point is it should fit. Cool cruisers says I need to buy spacers that attach on the back of the panel and the holes need to be widened. Why create a part that is specifically built for one vehicle that requires modification by everyone? Oh well.

I guess my point is it should fit. Cool cruisers says I need to buy spacers that attach on the back of the panel and the holes need to be widened. Why create a part that is specifically built for one vehicle that requires modification by everyone? Oh well.

no mate you have it all wrong....you can see the bridge spacers(75312-60020) in the above posted schematic.
you are dealing with threads on a plastic part, it would be entirely too easy to over tighten the fasteners and break off the studs or stripe the the threads. the little tin bridge spacers have a little spring to them so you can tell when they are tightened enough.
it's actually a quite cleaver system.

no mate you have it all wrong....you can see the bridge spacers(75312-60020) in the above posted schematic.
you are dealing with threads on a plastic part, it would be entirely too easy to over tighten the fasteners and break off the studs or stripe the the threads. the little tin bridge spacers have a little spring to them so you can tell when they are tightened enough.
it's actually a quite cleaver system.
Aha! Thanks! I just saw an overhaulin series on a FJ40 reno and the badge is installed above the panel. If its good enough for Chip Foose its good enough for me. Thanks guys.

Aha! Thanks! I just saw an overhaulin series on a FJ40 reno and the badge is installed above the panel. If its good enough for Chip Foose its good enough for me. Thanks guys.
Please post a picture of how you solved your conundrum...

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom