FJ40/45 Front Turn signal side lens removal/replacment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Bought two new side lens replacements for my front 40 stock series turn signals that are both milky and fade. Just wanted to know if any one has removed these lens from the housing before without damaging the lens themself s or the housing.
They look to be most likely glued in but was hoping after 35 years of service the glue would be dry, not so.
Last picture is of the replacement lens from eBay if interested, cheaper than SOR.

Cheers

lens1.jpg

DL157096.jpg

DL157098.jpg

DL157099.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do the same thing right now and hoping your 6 month head start helped.

I did, they just tapped right out (outward) as the glue after 30 years had dried to were it was just dust holding them in. I found the lens on eBay on the FJ40 site. Some guy had a bag of them. Not original but dam close to.
I believe SOR had some also.
LOL

Last edited:
I did, they just tapped right out (outward) as the glue after 30 years had dried to were it was just dust holding them in. I found the lens on eBay on the FJ40 site. Some guy had a bag of them. Not original but dam close to.
I believe SOR had some also.
LOL
Cool. I picked up the lights on SOR but went to install and was worried I would break the whole thing. Thanks

The plastic housing is horrible for the four long machine screw that hold the face on. You might need to shore up some slack in the housing by wrapping teflon tape over the threads. I can't tell you how many of those holes stripped for me, but it has been several between the four housings that I own - new OEM, or Made-in-Japan that came with the truck

I had to super glue one of those lenses back inn after it fell off from a hard washboard road.

While your in there, install a dedicated ground wire from the lamp chassis, inside, to something that isn't the fenderwell itself.

Last edited:
Are we talking about the side lens replacement on the front turns or the front large turn signal lens?

Are we talking about the side lens replacement on the front turns or the front large turn signal lens?
I was asking about the side lens but I have noticed the 4 screws on the large lens were loose, in fact one is missing on my driver side. So I will either be following the advice of Teflon taping or putting a small dot of silicone in the threads.

Your on track, I have used tape, flat tooth picks most anything that will not split the tread case or over expanding it when a screw is inserted.
I have for the SOR had some replacement screws but not sure if they still do.

Does anyone know if the '74 and earlier ones are better quality?
I'd hate to do it, but, next time, I don't really want the correct OEM new ones for their cheapish quality if the earlier ones are actually still being built well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom