FJ40 4 Speed no-go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I adjusted the outer cone style nut until about 1/8" from the end of the rod. Now with clutch fully pressed, I get this. Maybe I'm good? Anxious to try it in the morning.

the throw out bearing should go into and depress the splines on the clucth plate. it didnt look like yours was going in enough? or am i seeing it right? you typical can tighten the linkage to make the throw out bearing go in more or get or make a longer adjustment shaft

Working on getting my sons FJ40 on the road. Purchased a four-speed transmission, the correct bellhousing, and bought the clutch kit. New slave cylinder. New throwout bearing.

Mounted the transmission to the motor and installed it.

When sitting the transmission will shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th and reverse, no problem.

Start it in neutral. With the clutch in, it will not shift into first, second, third or fourth. If I try to go into reverse it grinds.

I put it up on jackstands. Started it in neutral. The rear wheels spin very slowly, and can be stopped by hand. With the clutch depressed I can shift it into first easily, same for second third and fourth. If I try to go into reverse it grinds.

With the clutch out and engine running I can still shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th without using the clutch.

So, I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Pressure plate backwards? Is there a way to tell?

What things can I try to diagnose and validate further?

Bewildered.

View attachment 3327876View attachment 3327877View attachment 3327878View attachment 3327879

Couldn’t tell from the vid so thought I’d mention, be sure you don’t have the clutch adjusted too tight. When the pedal is released, you don’t want the throw-out bearing touching the spinning clutch. If it does, you’ll have premature bearing fail.

I removed the solenoid. Applied to power and the rod did not move. It just clicked. Did it repeatedly, no change. So, I cut off the end of the rod. Reinstalled it and it idles fine.
Now to move onto other things.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Purchased a four-speed transmission, the correct bellhousing, and bought the clutch kit. New slave cylinder. New throwout bearing.
I recently transitioned from 3 speed clutch (with SM420) to 4 speed clutch and transmission
If you are using a 4 speed flywheel/pressure plate/clutch disk you should also use a 4 speed clutch fork and throwout bearing.
That clutch fork and throwout bearing looks (going from memory) like a 3 spd.

I believe this is a picture that I took just before installing it, I think it's correct. I wish I knew how I could tell before dropping the transmission.

View attachment 3328026
The clutch disc is backwards in this pic. But if you adjusted the slave and got it to shift as it appears, you installed it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom