FJ40 3speed to 4speed Clutch Problems... HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rainman

Wondering what my next vehicle will be...
Threads
:bang: (this is what I feel like)

Okay.
New slave cylinder.
New master cylinder.
New line and hose.
Clutch WILL move far enough to disengage the disc but only with a ratchet strap. I checked.
I've bled the system at least 6 times. Gravity bleed twice.
The pedal is soft all the way down.
The travel of the slave post is only about 1/2". Remove the slave from it's mount and try, it still only travels 1/2". I need about 1 1/2".

Every time I've bled the system, I've managed to get clear fluid for several tries afterwards. Most times, no air. The last attempt at this, I could actually hear what seemed to be air in the system. Quick bursts of it when the pedal was pumping 3 times. And slowly hear the "bloops" when releasing pressure. But no air comes out no matter how many times I bleed it.

It HAS to be air, doesn't it? Anyone have a new suggestion? My next attempt is to try to pump the fluid in reverse and see if I can push the air out the top. Not sure how that's going to work but I'm at the end of all methods I can think of.

My goal is to have this driving by tomorrow night!

Update:
When this get's figured out, I will add to this post the solution to this problem. I'll even try to change the thread title to Swapping out a 3 speed for a 4 speed transmission do's and don'ts. Or something like that.

Last edited:
The tolerances at the pedal adjustment and slave rod to fork are minimal.

That's not it.

All stock Toyota assembly??
Year?

Are you bleeding into a clear container so you can 'see' air bubbles?

Yes. Toyota and all adjustments checked and perfect.

I just pulled off something I wasn't sure I could do. To try something different since I've done all the right stuff over and over.

I pumped brake fluid from the bleeder valve up into the reservoir. It was much pier than I thought it would be. But gee, guess what. Pedal is the same.

Though you’re done with the reverse bleed; I do that on motorcycle brakes all the time. I get a big horse syringe from the local farm store (with no needle) and put hose over that and over the bleeder valve and push it in to fill the system until master cylinder is full.
As far as your issue, did you get a wrong slave cylinder or bad parts out of the box? Seems like 1/2” of travel is not near enough.

it still only travels 1/2". I need about 1 1/2"

I don't know what the correct distance would be for the slave to throw, but if the slave throw is correct at 1/2" then it would seem to indicate the clutch fork is incorrect in some way. The clutch slave is not close enough to the pivot point to provide the needed throw of the fork.

Is it a oem or aisin master and slave cylder? Is the return spring installed and forcing the piston all the to the rear of the slave cylder? Push the piston all the way in and then adjust the clutch rod. Has the master been bench bled?

How about a few pictures?

Toyota everything. Correct year parts. The fork is perfect and I tested to make sure it works. It does. The system just isn't applying enough pressure. I just got back home from running errands and a buddy loaned me a Vacuum bleed assist. I'll go try that. I'll take a few shots while I'm out there and report again. This isn't rocket science but it's beginning to act like it.

The shot of the slave isn't very good but it's nighttime and everything under the truck is shiny black. So...

IMG_1159.jpeg
IMG_1158.jpeg

So far I've used 3 masters. One of them brand new. All three had the same problem. I did find the first one had a small leak.

Problem started say, a week ago. From start to finish in order:
Master A, Line A (new), Hose A, Slave A - Soft pedal, 1'2" travel of the slave rod.
Master A, Line A, Hose B (new), Slave B (new). No difference.
Master B (new), Line B (new), Hose B, Slave B. No difference.
Master C, Line B , Hose B, Slave B. No difference.
Reverse fed the system. No difference.
Vacuum fed the system. No difference. Have not tried to bleed it after the vacuum yet though. (Not supposed to have to.)

I suspect the master is faulty , it happens sometimes. Do you still have your old one, stick it there just for giggles and see if there’s any difference.
3 different Masters can't all have the exact same problem.

Problem started say, a week ago. From start to finish in order:
Master A, Line A (new), Hose A, Slave A - Soft pedal, 1'2" travel of the slave rod.
Master A, Line A, Hose B (new), Slave B (new). No difference.
Master B (new), Line B (new), Hose B, Slave B. No difference.
Master C, Line B , Hose B, Slave B. No difference.
Reverse fed the system. No difference.
Vacuum fed the system. No difference. Have not tried to bleed it after the vacuum yet though. (Not supposed to have to.)

What happens if you lengthen the pushrod? Is it the correct one?

It's lengthened as far as it can go without the throwout bearing rubbing the pressure plate fingers. And there's almost no more threads to use anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom