FJ40 3 Speed Clutch Help Please. Squeak and Chatter/Vibes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

I am helping a friend with his 73 FJ40 (F engine, 3 speed tranny).

The truck has low miles and is new to him and we are trying to iron out all the little quirks!

Here are some symptoms:

-If we set the lower slave play to the 3mm recommended in the FSM that throwout squeaks/squeals a little bit. If we put even the slightest tension on it, the noise goes away and all is well.

-The clutch doesnt release until almost at the top of the pedal stroke, which i have read some threads that say this is normal, and some that say how to adjust it. We have everything adjusted to FSM specs and played with the adjustments +/- a fair amount. We have also completely bled the entire system with all new fluid.

-Also, when the clutch is released and the vehicle starts moving, there is quite a bit of vibration/clutch chatter, until load is applied then it goes away.

The catch is, there is ZERO slip, the clutch pulls strong, and all the gears engage easily when the pedal is depressed, telling me that it IS fully engaging.

Any ideas?? Pedal Travel Normal? Vibration?? Throwout? Warped Flywheel?

Thanks

Kevin, on the old three finger pressure plate, you could have chatter either because of hotspots on the flywheel/pressure plate OR because the 3 fingers are not adjusted evenly, or a combination of both.

Actual transmission shake [as opposed to chatter] is usually a motor mount issue.

Best

Mark A.

I'll be watching this thread as well. I have the same issues with my newly installed OEM clutch & pressure plate and resurfaced flywheel. '72 40 with a 3 speed on a 2F.

I'll be watching this thread as well. I have the same issues with my newly installed OEM clutch & pressure plate and resurfaced flywheel. '72 40 with a 3 speed on a 2F.

Shake or chatter?

Actual transmission shake [as opposed to chatter] is usually a motor mount issue.

Thats what i am thinking/hoping! Easy fix!

Any insight as to the high pedal release? Normal?

Its been a LONG time since i have driven a 40.

I remember the clutch on my 60 releasing somewhat high and i remember it irritating me cause my knee would rub the steering wheel! :D

Thanks for chiming in Mark! Most appreciated!

If you back off the slave cylinder a bit, it will lower the release point for the pedal, as well as decrease the chances of the throwout bearing rubbing when not in use [the squeal that leads to premature bearing failure]

As long as the clutch disc continues to completely release when the pedal is depressed, don't sweat the FSM specs.

Best

Mark A.

Ok, we were finally able to pull the inspection cover.

It is a "3 Finger" clutch for sure. As you can see in one of the pics by the new NON-OEM bolts holding the flywheel on that someone has been in here recently doing some sort of clutch work. Oh Oh! :D

One of the fingers had a fair amount of play in it, the other 2 were snug.

However, the throwout bearing seems pretty sloppy, kinda just dangling there and easily moved, also the lever that moves the throwout (not sure the official name) seems to contact it very sloppy, as shown in these pics, you can see how it sits.

Am i missing something? Or is it supposed to just sit there?

3fingerclutch1.jpg

3fingerclutch2.jpg

3fingerclutch3.jpg

That is all messed up. That springy clip on the throwout bearing should hold the release lever arm to it. The release arm should ride on the flat spot of the throw out bearing assembly, with the curve of the spring retainer over the top of it.

What amazes me, sis that the spring retainer is not detroyed from operating the clutch in this way. I suspect the top one may be on correctly, but is hard to see, you may need a mirror on a rod to see it up there. Either way, this is making the thrwout contact the arms crooked I bet, and makes for chatter due to only 1/3 or 2/3's of the clutch disengaging.

See if you can get the clips on, but it may be difficult, sometimes they are kind of worn an loose and may not hold very well. Good luck, you may get it, or you may have to undo the pivot ball bolt on the dirvers side, rear of the bellhousing, where the arm protrudes out and the slave cylinder is at. But then getting that back together is tough too.

Thanks MoCo

Makes perfect sense to me!

It felt as if something WAS holding it on the top, so your assesment sounds correct!

We are going to check it out next week and hopefully have it all up and running!

I will post back the results!

Amazed, too

that the assembly hasn't thrashed itself. You may find problems in the pivot ball, which I suggest you loosen up to get a little play to finagle those clips back where they belong. The pivot retainers on the back of the throw-out arm may have let the arm slide back.

Buy replacement parts [t/o brng, hub, clips and fork] and plan on using them.

I also wouldn't be surprised if running the setup this way didn't already gouge the front bearing retainer of the transmission. I would plan on having one of those on hand as well.

Best

Mark A.

Buy replacement parts [t/o brng, hub, clips and fork] and plan on using them.

I also wouldn't be surprised if running the setup this way didn't already gouge the front bearing retainer of the transmission. I would plan on having one of those on hand as well.

Best

Mark A.

Debbie Downer, it's a three speed, damn settup would probably work with a peice of driftwood and a can lid in there if you had too and water in the case for lube. Better yet some bailing wire will fix everything. :D

I hope nothing is tore up, but I think getting the clip back on may fix it right up.

I hope nothing is tore up, but I think getting the clip back on may fix it right up.

Does anyone have a picture of how it is supposed to look? I am having trouble wrapping my head around the correct placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom