FJ40 2F Engine Swap... Opinions of 'new' engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

Well, The old 2F in our cruiser was overheated and now makes terrible racket after it warms up. I picked up this "good" condition 2F on craigslist to swap in. I stripped it of its bits and pieces, and pulled the head to examine.

This is where I need your help- I'm no expert "Engine-looker," but this thing looks a bit nasty to me. Cylinders are crusty and gunky but not rusty, and they smell like burnt. The cooling pipes are all rusty-sludge action. Here are pics:

Maren's FJ40 - a set on Flickr

5537943483_337d51d61d_z.jpg

5538523488_35f1a04cf2_z.jpg

5537943073_74d9c2e344_z.jpg

There are a few more in the first link. What say you masses? Is this thing lame? Guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Looks like a used engine.. :meh:

Are you going to build it?

Did you hear it run before you purchased it?

Do you KNOW the person you purchased it from?

I was told it was pulled from a running 60, but I dont know how long it'd been sitting. I do have the contact info for the guy I bought it from...

I was going to use the bottom end and put all our nice 2F parts from her old engine onto it with new gaskets...

Are you going to open up the bottom end or just slap a head gasket on it and call it good?

Some of the valves in that top set of pix look a bit rough... I'd at least take the head to a good machine shop and have it looked at. But if it were me, I wouldn't go to all the work of pulling it without having it mag fluxed and doing a valve job and maybe rockers polished ... From a GOOD machine shop that is familiar with F/2F motors...

Have you had a straight-edge on the block surface ?

And photos on flkr are too dark to see anything.

Even if that engine has good rings and bearings, it's pretty obvious it's got a lot of miles on it. Save yourself the trouble later and get it rebuilt. It'll be worth it. If money is just too tight, I would at least pull the oil pan and check all the bearings, and hone/re-ring it.

Hi All:

Did you get compression numbers on this used engine?

Regards,

Alan

Thanks for the suggestions people! I'm looking for a nice block now, as we're going to put all the old parts from the truck on it with some new gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom