FJ40 2F Engine Idle Issue, not the usual fix, ideas?

I like your technical and practical approach step by steps ,

Your on target 🎯 with your first 2 u mention above …

Timing being out will affect your vacuum in the most drastic ways possible so make darn sure u set it to the stainless steel BB per the FSM

And only then final finite adjust via a high quality vacuum guage hooked up directly to your intake manifold

Not the carb base or any other source to be klear here

This the prescribed recipe for sucses

Then once you have dialed the timing and base idle and fast idle also don’t forget …

Transition to the FCS , and confirm and properly diagnose that ..

I have personally had more then one original fcs provide a solid clicking sound a touchy freely click sensation when hand ✋ held , yet still be a failed faulty part at the end of the day …

Good luck 🍀 your on the right path here I feel …

Matt
Thank you Matt,
I appreciate the encouragement!
Going back to how the problem started, we were on a short drive and the idle issue surfaced as we neared home.
Keeps me wondering what could have changed in a short amount of time.
I think we'll proceed with another FCS and also an emissions computer since ours has the low voltage issue to the FCS.
We'll also share the vacuum readings (I have good gauge) once the tachometer arrives.

The 81+ computer controls the EGR VSV, FCS, and two air Injection VSVs depending on the inputs. I'm not sure the AI or EGR can cause the idle issue and you took the FCS out of the picture. One thing that comes to mind tho is the computer switching VSVs, maybe it is switching in a vacuum leak?
It's been a while since we've had time to work on the FJ, but want to get back to it. I'd like to order an emissions computer and another FCS. Who do you recommend we purchase from? I'd like to support vendors here, if possible.

Engineer8000

CAPE FEAR ELECTRONICS
SILVER Star
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I recapped this one and tested earlier this year. It may be more cost effective for you to send yours in for refurb and testing.

20220730_135304.jpg

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Did you try blocking the EGR from the intake yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom