FJ40 2F Carburetor Insulator Block Gasket Question (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm reinstalling my Carb after reinstalling the exhaust and intake manifolds. I bought a new Carb gasket, but I wasn't thinking about any gasket between the Insulator block and the manifold. I assume a gasket is required between the manifold and the insulator? Can anyone tell me what kind of gasket to use there? I can't seem to locate one, so I guess I'll have to fabricate one. Any help about what that form should look like (use the intake manifold as the template?) and what gasket material to use is appreciated.

Ron Stoddard
Tempe, AZ
1978 FJ40

Some of those insulators have gaskets built into them. Particularly the one with the heat shield also built in.

If not, same size / pattern on both sides of the insulator, should be the same gasket?

The bottom gasket is called the plenum gasket and has one big oval hole. Same bolts spacing. The only concern I'd have using the top gasket on the bottom is, the section between the two holes would not be sandwiched in between two hard pieces since the manifold is one big oval. Might be a chance that center piece could work loose in time and get sucked in. With $OR the shipping will prolly be double the cost of the gasket.

Kerplunk's right on the built in gasket. But if you're like me you may have tried to scrape it off before finding out. 😂

My Shield seems to have the Insulator built in. There does seem to be a gasket built in too center photo), but it seems to be on the top side (right) where the carb mounts. I have always had a gasket there, on top of that, in the past.

1607734599579.png
1607734809549.png
1607735059269.png

I could make a plenum gasket from some gasket material that I have that seems to be the right type and thickness (right photo), or I can order one from SOR. What is your advice?

Yes, the top permanent gasket appears to be there, but the bottom permanent gasket has been scraped clean.

Jim, should I use a top gasket? Can I make a Plenum gasket from that material in the picture?

BTW, are still doing Carb rebuild/tune ups? You did my Carb back about 20 years ago. Thought I might have you give it a check over if you can.

Ron Stoddard

Shouldn't need an additional top gasket. Stacking gaskets doesn't create a better seal, it creates more possible leak paths.

The bottom gasket is so simple, you can make your own from any decent gasket paper. When installing put permatex #1 on the bottom of the insulator, so the new gasket will end up glued to the insulator, as originally designed.

Yes, still up to my neck in carbs, dissys, engine builds. :oops:

Shouldn't need an additional top gasket. Stacking gaskets doesn't create a better seal, it creates more possible leak paths.

The bottom gasket is so simple, you can make your own from any decent gasket paper. When installing put permatex #1 on the bottom of the insulator, so the new gasket will end up glued to the insulator, as originally designed.

Yes, still up to my neck in carbs, dissys, engine builds. :oops:

Are you still at the aol email address? How do I coordinate a rebuild/tune up?

Damn. So if I’m planning to take off my intake and exhaust manifold I likely need this too? I just ordered the intake manifold gasket, heat riser gasket, and exhaust flange gasket from Cruiser Outfitters but they failed to suggest to pick up this gasket as well. Is there any other gasket I’m missing?

My Shield seems to have the Insulator built in. There does seem to be a gasket built in too center photo), but it seems to be on the top side (right) where the carb mounts. I have always had a gasket there, on top of that, in the past.

View attachment 2522064View attachment 2522069View attachment 2522074

I could make a plenum gasket from some gasket material that I have that seems to be the right type and thickness (right photo), or I can order one from SOR. What is your advice?
Howdy! What year is that setup from? I just came across one in the spare parts colection. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom