FJ40 1F Engine Cam Lobe Pitting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought this truck I drove it around on the guys land and it drove well and the engine seemed to run well. The exhaust is cut off a foot from manifold so it was loud, so I couldn't hear the engine very well. It felt/ran good enough that I wasn't planning to do much to the engine, but before I pulled it I did a compression check and it was low, 60ish on cylinders 3, 4, and 6. I pulled the head and no stuck valves and no visible cracks. Also, the gasket didn't show any leaks. Today I pulled the engine further apart and noticed pitting on the cam lobes as shown on picture. Has anyone seen pitting like this before? The lifters look great, the cam side very flat and smooth and shiny. I assume I need a new cam, or is it cheaper to have them turned and add taller lifters. Not sure what direction I should go from here.

IMG_0198.JPG

Camshafts are getting to find. You could send yours to Delta Cams for a regrind. They’ll re-surface your lifters also. Make use of the search function here. There’s been discussions on this. I just went through a pitted cam “HERE”. <<< Link. Melling cam info "HERE"

Camshafts are getting to find. You could send yours to Delta Cams for a regrind. They’ll re-surface your lifters also. Make use of the search function here. There’s been discussions on this. I just went through a pitted cam “HERE”. <<< Link. Melling cam info "HERE"
When they grind a cam and lifters how do you get enough lift (after losing material to the grinding) to open the valves enough?

When they grind a cam and lifters how do you get enough lift (after losing material to the grinding) to open the valves enough?
They reduce the base circle so the profile will result in the same lift or even more if that were to be the goal.
This pic might help.

Cam Grind 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom