Fj40 1983 gauges not working (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day, I have just received an Fj40 lx 1983 version. My guages have no life, the indicators and lights work, but temp water oil no movement. The speedo works but not the mileage. Please could you advise me what to do.

Please could you also recommend a good repair manual for this year.
Cheers Julian

Good day, I have just received an Fj40 lx 1983 version. My guages have no life, the indicators and lights work, but temp water oil no movement. The speedo works but not the mileage. Please could you advise me what to do.

Please could you also recommend a good repair manual for this year.
Cheers Julian

Welcome!!

Rudi (@bj40green) created a superb thread for your purpose. It should answer all your questions.

^^^this^^^

Welcome to the madness !!

Since you mention that the indicator lights are working, that suggests that you have power to me cluster.

You'll likely have to chase down the gauge issues one at a time.

IMG_20200903_193921.jpg

I agree with Danny (@Solace in Solitude) above.

If your truck is an ‘83, the front of that cluster likely says “J07” and has seven digits on the odometer (up to 999,999.9KM).

Since you have it out you’ll quickly be able to bench test the gauges and determine if your issues are on the cluster side or somewhere between the harness and the sender side of things.

I agree with Danny (@Solace in Solitude) above.

If your truck is an ‘83, the front of that cluster likely says “J07” and has seven digits on the odometer (up to 999,999.9KM).

Since you have it out you’ll quickly be able to bench test the gauges and determine if your issues are on the cluster side or somewhere between the harness and the sender side of things.
I tooked the odometer out and I saw that the screw worm was not turning. The screwdriver is pointing to the 2nd screw. Can we replace this part alone?
Also my tank guages move up and the down. Still nothing in the water temp. But I get 3 volts reading. The oil zero. Where is the oil sensors on the car?. Cheers Julian

IMG_20200904_121657.jpg

For the odometer issue, have a look at this thread:

For the other gauges I would read Rudi’s thread linked earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom