Fj40 1983 Fuel tank air intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I understand that FJ40 Fuel Tank needs air intake in order to supply fuel to the fuel pump. Diagram of this air intake or description ?

Is AIR INTAKE of FUEL TANK shown in this diagram ? Is air intake required for fuel tank ?

trying to find fuel tank breather that allows air into the fuel tank to replace used fuel

trying to find fuel tank breather that allows air into the fuel tank to replace used fuel

If you're trying to drain old fuel from the tank, crack the filler cap and remove the drain plug.

If you're trying to drain old fuel from the tank, crack the filler cap and remove the drain plug.
I am trying to locate parts that allows air into the fuel tank to replace used fuel

Do you have a return fuel line from the carb to the tank?

On a ‘74 there are check valve(s) and a charcoal canister. By ‘83 there’s likely a couple more things.

Assuming your 83 is a US spec, so if it is non-US then I’m probably not correct here. A proper 83 setup has the fuel return line from the fuel pump back to the tank (not the carb, that ended in 1/79). The tank vent that you’re looking for is routed through the three lines of the vapor separator and the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister pulls in fresh air which displaces the fuel taken out of the tank. The reason that many folks suggest a vented fuel cap is that any malfunction of the Evap system can be difficult to diagnose and in many cases is more easily solved with a vented cap, YMMV. FYI, your 83 system is nearly identical to the FJ60 system so you can search on that forum as well and you might have more success with pictures.

Assuming your 83 is a US spec, so if it is non-US then I’m probably not correct here. A proper 83 setup has the fuel return line from the fuel pump back to the tank (not the carb, that ended in 1/79). The tank vent that you’re looking for is routed through the three lines of the vapor separator and the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister pulls in fresh air which displaces the fuel taken out of the tank. The reason that many folks suggest a vented fuel cap is that any malfunction of the Evap system can be difficult to diagnose and in many cases is more easily solved with a vented cap, YMMV. FYI, your 83 system is nearly identical to the FJ60 system so you can search on that forum as well and you might have more success with pictures.

Are you saying that fuel return line from carb ended in 1/79 ? Three lines from the fuel tank goes to vapor separator and one line from vapor separator goes to a one-way valve. One line from this valve goes somewhere unknown. It seems that the purpose of this valve is to release vapors from the tank ONLY. Is vented fuel cap available anywhere ? Thanks

This is a 79 diagram. Air displacing fuel drawn from tank comes in at the charcoal canister.
DE2FDEC9-E293-44A9-BBA1-85150A98CBCF.jpeg

Previous carburetor had return fuel line from carb. Present carb does not have a return fuel line from carb

1978 and earlier 2F's had the fuel return from the carb, 1979 and up had a fuel return from the fuel pump
is this the original engine?
looks like some PO swap arounds

On a ‘74 there are check valve(s) and a charcoal canister. By ‘83 there’s likely a couple more things.
A note that depending of markets the vapor emission stuff arrived at different years.
In Europe we had vented cap up to ~1976. In GCC I wonder if they may have kept vented cap up to the end on some models.

1978 and earlier 2F's had the fuel return from the carb, 1979 and up had a fuel return from the fuel pump
is this the original engine?
looks like some PO swap arounds
Engine is original 2F. I had installed carb with fuel return line earlier. Now carb without fuel return line has been installed.

Engine is original 2F. I had installed carb with fuel return line earlier. Now carb without fuel return line has been installed.

if the engine is original to he 1983 FJ40, it would have had a gas return from the engine mounted gas pump on the side of the block.
there is no need to have a return from the carb if there is a return from the pump.
is this a US spec rig?
does you fuel pump have 2 lines or 3 lines?
if the rig is a US spec rig the return line should still be on the frame going back to the tank, unless all that was removed also

Hi All,
I understand that FJ40 Fuel Tank needs air intake in order to supply fuel to the fuel pump. Diagram of this air intake or description ?

i would start with this do not overthink this issue :

this is a 1983 FJ40 ONE WAY FACTORT Vented IN type cap

LINK :

install this and will allow air in to replace fuel bottom line ....
thanks

s-l1600.jpg

ebay148878863024632.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom