Early FJ40 transmission and transfer case worh? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

npulver

Metal Messager
Threads
Recently purchased a FJ40 project and the old Toyota guru whom I bought it from had years and years of parts collected (previous guru is selling due to health issues) So the owner gave me the lot of extra parts. One of the pieces I ended up with is a complete transmission and transfer case that's mated together. He had mentioned he pulled the sight covers on and looked at everything years ago and said everything looked to be in good running condition. Since I do not have a FJ25 nor have a thought to get one just trying to find out what its rough value is. I'm currently restoring a Fj55 and now the FJ40 and looking to possible even do some horse trading.

I can upload pictures ect if need be.

You have a very limited worldwide market who checks in here even if they don't participate. Let them reach out to you privately and negotiate a price or trade.

Pics are always welcome as they always provide some tech reference.

👍

I havent looked yet, but is there any stamping on these cases that can be used? Also since your saying 61-63 so these weren't used in the fj25s?

I'll change the title for you, just be advised possibly more of a limited pool of interested folks being an early 40.

Where’s this at?

It doesn' t really look like the top cover has been opened after removal. In my box the first gear was bad. A replacement was hard to find. A guy here had a box for parts with a good gear and sent it to me.

Indeed 61-63 only.

It doesn' t really look like the top cover has been opened after removal. In my box the first gear was bad. A replacement was hard to find. A guy here had a box for parts with a good gear and sent it to me.

Indeed 61-63 only.

It’s not uncommon to find the early gearbox with bad a first gear. They’re quite narrow and were widened when the top shift version came out in 1963. Luckily, the topshift first gear is interchangeable with the side-shift Version

Thank you guys for the identification knowledge. This transmission has been sitting in a garage for the last 20+ years so he could have mistaken the transmission combo with another one he had at one time. After further inspection (i never really looked closely at it until you guys started mentioning some things) but this thing has obviously not been opened up. Im going to try tonight to get the pressure washer out and clean this thing up a little, and when i get back from vacation open it up and take a look at the insides.

Anyone need a pile of gears, i recieved a 5 gallon bucket of gears and some extra cases. lol

I have a '65 three speed and mine looks just like this one, event the vacuum actuator for the 4WD. Am I missing something?

Your ‘65 has side shifters?

Both shift control arms attach to the side of the transmission, versus just one on the side and one on the top (column shift in both cases).
59E55A7C-5943-4637-84A7-5546B92FF3A3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom