FJ ROCKS ARIZONA (FJ Cruiser Team Run) Saturday, June 10th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brady Clarke of Toyota's FJ Cruiser Trail Team will be visiting Arizona, and I've planned a trail run for his team for Saturday June 10th.

This run will be posted on Toyota America's FJ Cruiser "Trail Teams" website at: www.toyota.com/fjtrailteams

This event will be open to ALL VEHICLES with 2-speed transfer cases. Come on out, see the FJ Cruiser go, and show off your brand's rig.

Our plan is to run a cooler trail (for obvious reasons). In case of Prescott National Forest closures due to fire danger, we'll have backup plans in place (both other forest, and non-forest areas).

The main supporters of this event are the Arizona Land Cruiser Association and Arizona Copperstate Cruiser Club with additional support from Expedition Portal members.

I will also be writing a story for this event for submission into a popular Toyota-brand magazine. You never know who's rig will make the mag!

TRIP DETAILS:

Event name: FJ ROCKS ARIZONA

Event date: Saturday, June 10th

Event trail: DeSoto Mine

Trail leader: Steve Schaefer (3rd Gen 4Runner w'SAS)

Meeting place: Circle K in the Town of Mayer (7 miles NW of Cordes Jct. on AZ69 toward Prescott)

Meeting time: 9:00 AM, with a pullout of 9:30 SHARP

Event duration: 4-5 hours (for trail and play time)

Trail difficulty: 3.0+ (with 3.5+ options)

Should all of the nearby-to-Phoenix forests close due to fire danger, the non-forest backup will be RAW DEAL (in the same area of AZ) which will be more difficult, in the arena of a 3.5+.

Check back to this original post for more details. COME ON OUT AND SEE THE FJ CRUISER TEAM DURING THEIR ONLY PLANNED STOP TO ARIZONA!

Last edited:
Smiley rock is NOT a 3+ trail. It's more like a 1.5 or 2.0. Regardless I'll be there.

There's rocks?

Brady Clarke of the FJ Team has asked that we opt for the Crown King Backroad Trail due to all the added "options" that it offers. I've updated the first post along with meeting place and times.

Other options we're considering (in case of closures):

Coronado NF:
Chiva Falls
Charouleau Gap

Tonto NF:
Powerline/Hackberry
Upper Sycamore

Non NF:
Raw Deal
Florence area

John, I'm sure you are already aware (being you live here and all), but expect triple digits if you are anywhere around tucson or Florence....it'll be a fuggin hot day if we stay at lower elevations.

Speaking of elevation...how far up is CK? (I've never ran the trail).

goodtimes said:
John, I'm sure you are already aware (being you live here and all), but expect triple digits if you are anywhere around tucson or Florence....it'll be a fuggin hot day if we stay at lower elevations.

Oh yes....though June is when they'll be here. Smiley Rock at 7000+ is the temp spot though they prefer to go where there's challenge.

I'll be calling the NF's in a week or so to see what they say about possible closures. At that time we'll stick with CK or move where closures may not happen. Usually the Coronado closes after the others so 4000' Chiva might be the final destination.

After those calls the final decision will be made and we won't change it so people can firm up plans.

goodtimes said:

CK starts at Lake Pleasant, about 45 minutes N of Phx.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
CK starts at Lake Pleasant, about 45 minutes N of Phx.

And ends at 6000'+ Crown King.

Tools R Us said:
And ends at 6000'+ Crown King.

no, in the Cleator bar :beer:

Due to further communications with the FJ Team, the National Forest Service and comments/recommendations from interested antendees, we've finalized the trip plans and updated the first post.

We been asked to improve:

Trail Difficulty (more difficult)
Shorten Trail Run (a bit)
Go to higher altitude (for cooler temps)

The trail run has been changed to "DeSoto Mine". DeSoto Mine Trail is well known for it's various challenges. Grades, off-camber, rocks...can all be had on DeSoto. It will be the best "test" for the FJ Team in the area.

Running this trail should make for a much nicer day, weather and dust-wise. FJ40's without tops will appreciate this change a lot. No excuses not to show now! :D

These plans are final. If the Prescott NF closes then Raw Deal will be the backup and it's in a similar area starting along I-17 closer to Phoenix.

The boss is willing to trade saturday's with me so I can make this trip:bounce: :bounce2:

Can someone post a more detailed description of the trail head, or a map?
Thanks from the NEWB.

71186183-O.jpg

71185793-O.jpg

71186210-O.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom