FJ Rear Brakes Sticking...way worse when hot... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the tool (There is a Toyota SST too)

I shortened the rod and added spacers. I left the line a little loose and fluid squirted out as I pushed the master cylinder back on. The rod is definitely pushing on it when no brakes are applied. I'm amazed by how much space I had to create. I'll bleed the brakes and take it out for a spin.

... The rod is definitely pushing on it when no brakes are applied...

There should be slight play, gap, between the rod and piston.

It seems to still be sticking a little bit, but once I shut the car off, not at all. Is that possible??

What is this? I think the brakes are ok now, but there is still some drag. But its every couple of inches when I push the car. When I turn off the car or disconnect the vacuum line it gets better. I noticed that it is also connected to the vacuum line and when I pull the lever out, the car won't move at all. I believe it is sticking.
1564176023103134091695084564352.jpg

The parking brake cable goes to a separate drum brake attached at the rear of the xfer case. No vacuum in play. It’s all mechanical.

Ok, I see that now, I guess the vacuum line goes to transfer case. I'm beginning to wonder if I have too much vacuum. Another can of worms...this carb hisses like crazy at idle, and runs pig rich

Last edited:
Great, the drum with the emergency brake was full of gear oil. I'm tired of this car...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom