FJ PTO Winch - Impossible Question - brass color gear wheel "blueprint" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ignored my wife's threats to divorce me if I continue throwing money into my 1978 FJ40, and bought an old PTO winch. It is missing the floor shifter lever, but everything else seems to be there. I took it to the shop of a guy that restores classics (in Bolivia, South-america), and he is working on it at this point. I am excited!! :) :) :)

I do need some help...
We need to replace a worn bass colored gear... a friend here in VA believes that the gear is intentionally made with this weaker metal , so if the system is overloaded this piece will sacrifice to save the integrity of the rest of the winch and the truck...
I looked for a replacement part, but no luck. My guy in Bolivia says that they can make the part, but we need the blueprint with measurements and specifications to get a perfect result.

1. By the picture, can you gesstimate which TLC was this sourced from?
  2. Any ideas where could I find the blueprint for the worn brass gear? (if this is even possible)
  3. Any other ideas to source this part?
As always I appreciate your help!
IMG-20200118-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20200121-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20200123-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20200118-WA0009.jpg

If you have the gear you can use a program like Solidworks or Mastercam to measure and create a drawing. Once you have a drawing, get some quotes from machine shops. Perhaps a chance to make more than one and offer to sell to others as well.

@Don Marito FJ40 ,

Toyota made a number of winches for different models (FJ40, 55, 60, 70, etc) and they're not all interchangeable. The setup in your posting doesn't look like a standard arrangement for a 1970's FJ40.

It's hard to tell from your picture, but the flange pattern on the PTO transfer unit (that bolts to the transfer case) looks kind of straight across the top and bottom flanges. The picture below is from a unit off of a 1976 FJ40, and you can see it's kind of "arched" up to a bolt hole in the middle of the top and bottom flanges.

Does your PTO unit match the pattern on your transfer case cover on your 1978 FJ40?

1580066027875.png

@Don Marito FJ40 ,

Toyota made a number of winches for different models (FJ40, 55, 60, 70, etc) and they're not all interchangeable. The setup in your posting doesn't look like a standard arrangement for a 1970's FJ40.

It's hard to tell from your picture, but the flange pattern on the PTO transfer unit (that bolts to the transfer case) looks kind of straight across the top and bottom flanges. The picture below is from a unit off of a 1976 FJ40, and you can see it's kind of "arched" up to a bolt hole in the middle of the top and bottom flanges.

Does your PTO unit match the pattern on your transfer case cover on your 1978 FJ40?

View attachment 2192999

The picture posted isn't the best but kind of looks like the FJ25 PTO that bolted to the side of the transmission. The back piece of the winch that bolts to the vehicle does not look like any 2Xseries or 4X series PTO winch.

a mechanical winch is always nice to have on such a vehicle .
IMO the brass gear has worn out because of no oil or very old oil in the case .
dispute all this and the stress from your wife ....
I believe the spare part N. of this component is 3813160180

won't be easy nor cheap to find , but should fit .
pls be aware that it is from mechanical winch of Toyota 80 , same in many parts to the 40 ,
main difference is the case in aluminium vs cast iron.

The picture posted isn't the best but kind of looks like the FJ25 PTO that bolted to the side of the transmission. The back piece of the winch that bolts to the vehicle does not look like any 2Xseries or 4X series PTO winch.

PTO gear looks like it’s helical cut and sticks out too far to be 25 or 40 series.

PTO gear looks like it’s helical cut and sticks out too far to be 25 or 40 series.

Seems this came off a 80 series according to post #6. The FJ25 believe is more square than this one. The PTO gears look straight cut to me. It is a two direction PTO. The later 60 series and 70 series up thru the nineties at least were single direction.

Also note that the second picture in the OP #1, the worm shaft housing is only open on the driven end, which is contrary to the U.S. market winch, which has the worm shaft protuding out both the driven and front end:

1580685359195.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom