FJ, Liberty,H3,XTerra, Wrangler Limited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From what I have read these are all in the same class vehicle and will all be competing with each other. As far as an all around vehicle which one do you thing ( when the fj comes out) would take the lead as far as off roading goes. Hummer H3 already has extreme video footage on their commercials about what the H3 can do. What do ya'll think? :popcorn:

Well if you ask me I think it will be a close race, I personally don't think the liberty or the Xterra will come close as both have become more acustomed to life on the streets. Come on if it comes with a 2wd option is it really an off roader?

Looks to me if you caompare, reliability, Cost, versitality ( maybe a 2wd option they didnt say for sure) , Performance , and avaulable options . Compare it to Jeep ( dodge ,Christler) , Nissan , H3 ( basically a Gm colorado and still costs more )no reliability.

I think when it comes out it will bring more people into realizing that toyota had and still does make legendary 4x4s. Can't beat em'

You may be right! But is it fair to say that the others have no reliability? I mean it has only been out for a month or two. Oh and you know the Colorado is a truck not an SUV! (not being sarcastic) they only share the 5-cylnder engine and maybe the tranny I think. Otherwise completely different. Hey okie log on aim.

JTFJ40 said:
I personally don't think the liberty or the Xterra will come close as both have become more acustomed to life on the streets. Come on if it comes with a 2wd option is it really an off roader?

I have wheeled with xterras and they are pretty capable, you'll be surprised. I haven't seen the new one with the off-road package in action, but it should do even better. The only problem with xterras is that their IFS sucks. It's one of the weakest in the market.

Last edited:
I would say the Xterra / H3 / FJ will all be pretty close... IFS, Rear Lockers, Traction Control / Skid Control. Kind of sad really that they are pimping out their cruiser heritage for a vehicle in the same class as the Xterra

the H3 is all Gm sence Gm owns Hummer now and as far as looks go it is only a Hummer shell. Sorry to be such a disapointment.

Its the trueth though. :grinpimp:

Okie - first, try a spell checker. It's kinda hard to read.

Second - Gm does not own Hummer. AM general does. GM has a marketing agreement with Hummer. The H2 and H3 are based on GM platforms. The H1 uses a GM engine and is built in IN by AMG.

Other than that, I agree with you. They should spank the H3 and Liberty and do well against the Xtrerra

You asked which one would take the lead as far as offroading goes............no question the Wrangler would be superior is most cases. Hate to say it but it's true.

I HATE the H3! I hate everything about the H2-3 concept. They took a very capable and well built heavy duty rig off the market and used its name to sell grocery getters. I despise that! Why destroy something unique just to replace it with a cookie cutter car like everything else out there. Sure they sell more Hummers, but those people would have bought any other full sized SUV, they bought the H2 for the name. This is what I don't under stand: why not keep the H1 and sell a toned down version for the soccer moms? They would have sold just as many of the H1's as they always did and probably more of the H2 because they would have more cache because the H1's were still on the road.

FLFJ40 said:
I HATE the H3! I hate everything about the H2-3 concept. They took a very capable and well built heavy duty rig off the market and used its name to sell grocery getters.

And what do you think toyota is doing with the FJ-40 and the FJ Cruiser?????

Well, H3 is almost 6000 lbs. I don't know the weight on the FJ Cruiser. 00 - 04 (4.6X and 4.90 gear ratio) Xterras are capable and totally different design than 05 (3.7X gear ratio). I see Liberty and Xterra in the same rank but H3? not sure. Older Xs are pretty capable(I know, I used have one), it has after market SAS kit as well, so does liberty. The new 05 Xterra is more like a car to me. The liberty may have a 2.4 diesel coming up. FJ Cruiser may fall into the same catagory based on all that but more likely it will be in the same catagory as H3 because of the size maybe. X and/or liberty are not full time 4wd, H3 is. my $0.02.

whats going on between okie and JTFJ40 ?????

when they compare those units on Tv it will make a good show. I think the jeep will be one of the leaders with maybe the fj in contention.

depends how serious yota is in NA anymore. other than cool trucks. practical off road units is what made them good. practical spawned quality. where as cool only goes the way of the aztec. Pontiac that is!!!!

I'd say for pure 4wheeling the Wrangler Rubicon would probably win, hard to beat that size and 2 lockers...however, the catch there is size, it's small, what if you want to take 4 adults somewhere, with a backpack/cooler, etc...very tough in a Wrangler to do that...also don't forget the Wrangler is OLD, the styling is old, the technology is old, some people like to keep a old style for a LONG time, but other (and IMO the market the FJ will appeal to) people like to see a new design sometime, even if they admit it's a bit odd, atleast it's something different.

Toyota is just trying to get some more sales, last time I heard, they owned something like 40% of their demographic with the Tacoma, so 40% of all people in the 18-30 (I think) demographic who bought a compact truck bought the Tacoma, those are very good numbers, so having the Tacoma and a SUV of similar price/size would be great. I bet I'll end up buying a used one in a few years...

Riad said:
Well, H3 is almost 6000 lbs.

H3 is 4700 pounds. FYI

If you factor in reliability then many Toyota competitors go away. If you don't factor it in (like test reports and reivews do not) then you must consider the overall build and design. In the design area, Toyota has taken another focus and in my opinion has fallen behind the competition when it comes to designing a truly capable trail vehicle. Keep in mind too that we are comparing stock vehicles.

1. Forget the solid axle vs IFS....IFS is here to stay whether we like it or not.
2. Don't get me wrong....I make fun of NO vehicle except the H2....in fact I wear one of those DUMMER shirts that has an H2 on it.

To my point: The H2 and H3 are designed right. Out of the box they have all the ingredients of a wheeler including those ever important approach and departure angles. They have good recovery points, are accessorized and come with large tires. Heck, 69:1 crawl on the 5-spd H3? Wow.

Next, you have Nissan, VW, Jeep, etc, etc adding rear lockers, Dodge F&R, many adding larger tires, blah blah. Meanwhile, Toyota keeps building a more laid back 4WD SUV and we keep being disappointed.

While I'm on this, here's 2 comments on the 100-series:

1. Have you seen the H3 going through the Golden Crack? See it violently lifting it's rear tires? Didn't lift a reat tire in the 100 when I went through.
2. LET'S SEE WHAT TOYOTA DOES ON THE NEXT LAND CRUISER. 2 things MUST happen or they've made their focus clear:
A. Since they've developed KDSS, they must add it (or better it).
B. Since many are going to a TRAC/Rear Locker combo, they must add a rear locker option.

X-Terra will be the competition

Let's see the latest issue of Four Wheeler says the X-Terra with the Off-Road Package has front and rear limited slips, an electric rear locker Bilstein shocks, and 33 inch tires - though they list P265/75R16, which is only 31.6, on the Nissan web site. It's still got a stripper interior (comparitively), and some really cool features, like the steps in the rear bumper to help access the roof rack. Also a 6 spd and 265hp, and still gets 17/21mpg. Oh, and it has real back doors.

The FJ will match hp, and 6spd, and I'm sure a locker will be offered. Don't know about tires - but I'm sure they'll have a TRD packaged one with Billies. Prices will be about the same I'm guessing (the Xterra is a pretty good value - comparitively). If you're not going to have a reovable top, might as well have 4 real doors.

The H3 will do well in sales - already see quite a few around. I think it's too expensive to be compared to the FJ and Xterra (5-6 grand more). It only has a five speed, and an engine that, although it might be adiquite, will seem underpowered compared to the FJ's and Xterras.

The Wrangler isn't even in the same class. The removable top puts it in i'ts own category.

Without any big tire or locker options, the Liberty isn't really in the same class either. Maybe when then come out with a 4-dr Wrangler that'll compete.

Unfortunately Toyota does not include any stock stout suspension - TRD or otherwise - Mods will have to be installed on the FJ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom