FJ Cruiser spotted on the Rubicon trail! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4wdtoyotaowner.com
A fellow Toyota enthusiast spotted the FJ Cruiser on the Rubicon recently and sent us several pics! I've posted them on the 4WD Toyota owner web site. He said that the truck was doing very well in the section he was in (he was broken down and the FJ Cruiser passed him as he was working). From the look of it, it wasn't an extremely difficult section of the Rubicon, but to be on the Rubicon at all in the FJC is pretty cool in my book.

http://www.4wdtoyotaowner.com

Check it out.

Dave

Where is the driver?

It was Helo'd in for the poser shots. Notice how it was strategically placed on the rock.
Or i could just be talkin shiat.

It looks like the toyota test guys "leaked" the photos. Yeah, the missing driver was a major clue.

The Bottom photo looks to be from the begining of GATEKEEPER. I have drove through there many times. I would hardly call it easy.

In the picture it looks like the FJ Cruiser is actually hung up. I would like to see a pic if he continued on. Also wonder how much damaged it took.

Back in 2001/2 Jeep took a bunch of stock Wrangler Rubicons through the Rubicon. Most of the damaged they took were scrapes and dented up fuel tanks from not enough height (only had 31" tires).

No matter what you think about the looks.............with 3" of lift & 33s these things will go just abount anywhere. I hope they work out the bugs the first few years, then get something closer to the 70 series with the next rig.

Sorry I find this almost pathetically funny - I am embarrassed to see this obvious poser shot posted as " being spotted" I know you have to market the mag and all but... being " on the rubicon" is much more than sitting on a well placed rock.

Yeah, I'm more than willing to wait until Toyota comes up with something a little better. The first time I saw it I liked it, but then I got to actually checking it out and learned the different specs and stuff, and I am just not impressed. Sorry Toyota, you're going to have to try again to get me to buy from you.

atomicpunk51 said:
No matter what you think about the looks.............with 3" of lift & 33s these things will go just abount anywhere.
It comes stock with 33"s, but I know what ya mean ;) :)

it's real

No photoshop. It's real. As I said, the pics are obviously not in the toughest section. I looked into it more, googling, calling some industry types to verify it. There was a whole group who went, including a red Tacoma. Some media types were there. The group did the entire Rubicon, actually. (That's not to say the FJ took all the bypasses; I don't know.)

Dave

cool!

Right on! That'll be interesting. I got the full scoop from one of the official testers; it's mentioned in our next issue, shipping very soon. That must have been a fun trip. Will you be at Ojai?

Dave

firetruck41 said:
It comes stock with 33"s, but I know what ya mean ;) :)

Stock tires are 265/70/17, which is not quite 32".

You're right. I don't know why I remember calculating it before as 32.8" or something like that, but it is actually equal to 31.6"

Hey Dave;
Got an invite to Ojai, but I had previous commitments that weekend I couldn't drop. Bummer.

4WD Toyota Owner Magazine said:
Right on! That'll be interesting. I got the full scoop from one of the official testers; it's mentioned in our next issue, shipping very soon. That must have been a fun trip. Will you be at Ojai?

Dave

firetruck41 said:
You're right. I don't know why I remember calculating it before as 32.8" or something like that, but it is actually equal to 31.6"

The important question is will 33's fit with a 2-3" lift and will the Donohoe Coilovers and Camburg/Total Chaos upper control arms made for the 4Runner fit this application. I hope so. I also saw in another post that OME/ARB is making applications for the newest generation of 4Runners. If so, will the OME suspensions work with the FJ. I hope so. OME does not make suspensions for vehicles not available in Australia. As stated in previous press releases, The FJ is initially only available in The US. I am sure there will be an aftermarket for The FJ, but I hope it is more than just coil spacers and stickers. We need bumpers and winches and new firmer coils, not fluff.

I'm 99.9% sure the OME and Hoe/SAWs/TC will fit. The problem will be rear coils- will need to get OME Prado 120 3-dr rr coils instead of the 4dr (if OME makes such a coil).

Up to 34" tires will fit but that's the limit. After that, it's off to the darkside with the rig...

Dirk Diggler said:
OME does not make suspensions for vehicles not available in Australia.

They may make an exception, although I'm not sure. They build bullbars for Tacomas.

The tacoma bar is just a modified bar that was orriginaly built for the prado I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom