FJ cruiser or Xtera (n00b to offroad vehicles) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi,
I currently own a pontiac GTO
IMG_6188.jpg

IMG_6196.jpg

The car i had prior to that was a subaru wrx.
close%20cranes.jpg

I have never owned an "offroad" vehicle. Reason i am looking into an "SUV" now is i just got a dog and he is WAY to big for the GTO. I was really into modifying cars and as you can see (or maybe not) both previous cars were modified. I have pretty much stopped racing and really dont care about speed too much anymore. However i do like for a vehicle to handle fairly well and to have some pep when i step on it. I take at least one trip to colorado every year. So far we have been renting an suv for a week (explorer, jimmy, and such).

So knowing that... i have looked at the FJ and the Xterra. Have not driven either one of them. I have read reviews on both and the FJ seems to be more of an offroad vehicle and not so great on road vehicle. The Xtera seems to have more HP and better onroad handling. Price wise they would be about the same with the options i would want.

So other than what i have listed... what would you suggest i do? I like the looks of the FJ and the appeal that i could pretty much go anywhere i want with it. I dont know about the Xtera and its offroad capabilities.

so FJ lovers... sell me on an fj...

(why would you get the FJ over the Xterra)

Thanks for your help

beaufort-fj60 said:
the xtera is a fat girls "car"

LOL

+1 for the FJ

Xterra is nice if you get the Off Road package.

Hill Descent control is pretty much the only thing it offers over the FJ in the way of features.

Oh and 2 more "real" doors.

ps......Xterra would probably be cheaper by at least a few thousand. It spec's out cheaper and most Toyota dealers are just screwing people with "market adjustments" in the thousands.

Toyota reliability.

Imola Red said:

Hill Descent control is pretty much the only thing it offers over the FJ in the way of features.

ps......Xterra would probably be cheaper by at least a few thousand. It spec's out cheaper and most Toyota dealers are just screwing people with "market adjustments" in the thousands.

+1 for the Xterra

Read current MotorTrend comparo (ignore Car&Driver one).

For God sake - do not get running boards and a brush guard. Get rock rails. This is an off-road car.

If you need a place for your dog - you are so much better off with a station wagon. I really like my BMW 325XiT - get the base, and it is not that expensive at all compared to a loaded FJ or X - especially after a few years of gaz use factored in. And it is a blast to drive.

But it does not do all the trails I want have access to, even though I took it on some dirt road that many SUV owners will not be able to tackle. So a stock FJ with ARB lockers, rock rails and ARB bull bar is waiting for me sometimes this summer.

80and100cruisers said:
Toyota reliability.

+1 for the FJ... but what about 1st year bugs? how is toyota with that?

dane said:
Read current MotorTrend comparo (ignore Car&Driver one).

For god sake - do not get running boards and a brush guard. Get rock rails. This is an off-road car.

If you need a place for your dog - you are so much better off with a station wagon. I realy like my BMW 325XiT - get the base, and it is not that expensive at all compared to a loaded FJ - especially after a few years of gaz use.

But it does not do all the trails I want. So a stock FJ with ARB lockers, rock rails and ARB bull bar is waiting for me sometimes this summer.

Valid point. If i get a station wagon i would get the subaru forester XT. About the same price range, higher clearance and almost 300whp.

XT? Wow you are a subaru fan then.

Nice cars. I used to have a wrx wagon back in the days. Used to be a moderator for a short bit at NASIOC.

Dmitry said:
Valid point. If i get a station wagon i would get the subaru forester XT. About the same price range, higher clearance and almost 300whp.
Here you go. I do not like turbos, but Forester is a blast. Absolutely no need for an FJ unless you do some actual trails. (I would like to get closer to some primo climbing spots in the Sierra Nevada - hiking in sucks). And even then - Forester is better then many of this running-board-outfitted-minivans-for-people-with-small-dicks.. err SUVs.. out here (I can say that as I do own a 2005 Odyssey minivan, my wife is thankfully sane. :) - BTW - minivans rule for road only trips.)

(Among those two - FJ. Better platform. I will skip all the factory doodads and wait for the pricing to go down - they will, I am in no rush..)

P.P.S. May I suggest Mazda 5? :)

Imola Red said:
XT? Wow you are a subaru fan then.

Nice cars. I used to have a wrx wagon back in the days. Used to be a moderator for a short bit at NASIOC.

They are nice, reliable if not modded crazy and if for some reason i do decide to mod, STI parts bolt right on, including breaks, and engine bits.

but i was looking at something more SUV/roomy wise... i dont think the forester would have enough room/carry capability to handle the colorado trips... but i have a feeling the rear seats on the forester would be more comfy than the FJ..

dane said:
Here you go. I do not like turbos, but Forester is a blast. Absolutely no need for an FJ unless you do some actual trails. (I would like to get closer to some primo climbing spots in the Sierra Nevada - hiking in sucks). ANd even then - Forester is better then any of this running board outfitted minivans for people with small dicks.. err SUVs.. out here (I can say that as I do own a 2005 Odyssey minivan, my wife is thankfully sane. :) - BTW - minivans rule for road only trips.)

(Among those two - FJ. Better platform. I will skip all the factory doodads and wait for the pricing to go down - they will, I am in no rush..)

P.P.S. May I suggest Mazda 5? :)

LOL no you may not.

quote: but what about 1st year bugs? how is toyota with that?

There is a guy on here now that's posting 200k miles with no problems on his 98. 98 was a first year for a major change in land cruisers.

WES1977 said:
quote: but what about 1st year bugs? how is toyota with that?

There is a guy on here now that's posting 200k miles with no problems on his 98. 98 was a first year for a major change in land cruisers.

However, my sister's '06 Avalon - American designed, American built - just spent a week in the shop because of a flaw in the AC system (and the flaw was a design screw up) - so there's that…

Imola Red said:

Doesn't the FJ's adaptive AT basically work as a hill decent control?

Meaning it downshifts the engine to maintain a low speed.

Not sure if I am way off here, that is just how it was explained to me.

If back seat space is an issue, go for the X... it has more room and real doors.

If not, go for the FJ, its 6-Spd manual is avaliable with Full-Time 4WD which is a nice advantage over the X. With an automatic there aren't really any differences between teh X and the FJ.

HawkDriver said:
Why the Xterra vs FJ?

The 4Runner is a way better truck than the XT.

And that FJ farce....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom