FJ Cruiser Import? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Threads
Is the new FJ Cruiser going to be imported here or build here in the U.S..? :confused: Thanks..

Last edited:
I have seen speculation in the press that it would be built here, being that is is being built to be sold here.

There have been a number of posts here that it will be built in Japan, but I have personally not seen anything from Toyota regarding that.

One thing I read said it may be built in the NUUMI plant in Fremont, CA.

Si senor :D

4runner on which it is based, is built in Tahara Japan, I hope it's built there. One can hope??

usmcruiser said:
I know that in the over dramatized reveal they said that it would have a V6, but do ya'll think that there will be a V8 option since it is going to be made here in the US?
Not really, it would put it out of the demographic/price they are targeting, they have always said it will have a V6 and it has always been purported to be for US release only.

FJ809496TLC said:
Is the new FJ Cruiser going to be imported here or build here in the U.S..? :confused: Thanks..

Confusing articles out there saying both Japan and NUMMI. If it's gonna be affordable then it has to be built here, then again if it's based on the 4runner platform I would say Japan. Let's hope Japan since I tend to think nothing but rock solid coming from there. Also hybrid and diesel talk, if diesel make it D4D and I guarantee you all the naysayers would be waiting inline.

Terrax said:
Confusing articles out there saying both Japan and NUMMI. If it's gonna be affordable then it has to be built here, then again if it's based on the 4runner platform I would say Japan. Let's hope Japan since I tend to think nothing but rock solid coming from there. Also hybrid and diesel talk, if diesel make it D4D and I guarantee you all the naysayers would be waiting inline.

I don't think diesel. The quality of diesel in this country is the limiting factor. It's basically the same quality as in third world countries. Even after the switch to lower sulfur in '06, the cetane numbers are too inconsistent nationwide (low), as there don't appear to be strict enough standards governing diesel fuel quality. There are proposals for an even higher quality diesel, but those wouldn't go into effect until around 2010-12. I read somewhere that Toyota is testing a diesel with a cat conv. like thing to burn off NOx, but it's barely able to pass federal regs. What makes it difficult to certify a diesel here (according to that article) is the requirement for low NOx and hydrocarbons. While diesel has low CO/CO2, NOx, particulate matter, and hydrocarbons are much higher (like 10x) than what a gasoline engine outputs. This makes me wonder how domestics can have diesel, but maybe it's because domestic diesels are trucks, and Toyota is trying to get diesel to work in passenger cars, which are under much more strict emissions standards. I guess since they use the same engine in multiple platforms, they wouldn't want to have a 3L TD for trucks and another one for gas engines. That could mean stocking different parts, etc.

If VW can do it for 20 + years why not Toyota?

VeeDub has diesels in trucks (V10 TDi Tourag) and passenger cars,
Mercedes too. Although there MPG numbers are lower than in Europe. Probably an adjustment for dirty diesel.

Let's not forget the Heep Liberty diesel. It's considered and paasenger vehicle, I think.

I personally think that Toyota is on a hybrid kick right now. They are at the top of the market and have sold their technology to Ford and Porsche, along with others I am sure.

I am more and more impressed with hybrids and think that Toyota knows a good thing when they see it. The question should be whether hybrid or diesel would be better for an off road vehicle.

The article I liked the most was one recently posted on MSNBC that found that Toyota and Honda tested or had tested for them their gasser models side by side with their hybrid counterparts and found that the hybrids not only had better fuel efficiency, better emission levels, they also had out performed their gasser models.

In Honda's case it was the Civic and Accord, for Toyota it was at least the Lexus RX300 compared to the RX400h. I will have to find the article to see if it included the Highlander and Camry hybrids.

I'd put my money down that Toyota goes green instead. And I don't blame them, I think a hybrid would be better on the trail. How many times have you been stuck in trail-traffic.

madams557 said:
for Toyota it was at least the Lexus RX300 compared to the RX400h.
I saw some literature about this too. I think it was mostly because the RX400h has the same engine as the 300 doesn't it? It's still a V6 I know that, might not be the exact same one but I thought it was. So the 400 has all the power of the 300 but then with the hybrid stuff added, so not surprising it was actually faster 0-60 than the RX300. (Hmm, the current RX is the 330 though, I wonder if maybe the hybrid has the older 3.0 engine?) Pretty cool though how the hybrid would not only be the better, cleaner, vehicle but also faster and the more high performance one. To me that is a quantum shift from what I've always thought about the hybrids, which were they were neat and all but lame and slow. Good work Toy engineers!!

The cool thing about toyota's hybrids is that the 4wd versions get BETTER gas mileage than 2wd. That would be great for the FJ, a 4wd getting better mpg's for a change!

Here is something from the article:

PHOENIX, Ariz. -- - The new Toyota Highlander SUV –- which rolls out in March -- looks like its conventional gasoline powered cousin. But what’s different about this SUV -- as well as other new hybrids now coming on the market -– is that it’s not just about the fuel efficiency and lower emissions. It's also about the performance.

In Austin, Texas, Kent Benjamin is part of the next generation of hybrid owners. He didn't buy his Honda Accord hybrid just for its improved mileage or lower emissions. He went for its performance.

“I was very surprised and pleased to find out that this car actually drives, I think, noticeably better than the regular Honda,” he said.

The Accord Hybrid is just one of the new gas/electric cars with more oomph than their standard counter parts. In March, the Lexus RX400h will have 270-horsepower. In April, Toyota's Highlander hybrid will go 0-to-60 almost a full second faster than a conventional Highlander.
“The fact that it was going to have improved performance was like the Holy Grail,” said Ernest Bastien a marketing managers at Toyota. “It’s like, wow, this is really going to mean something to consumers. It’s going to be far beyond what they expect.”

Even though the Highlander hybrid will have sticker price $4,000 to $5,000 above a regular Highlander, Toyota believers it will sell well because the gas/electric power train gives this six cylinder SUV the power and acceleration of a 8-cylinder.

“You put your foot on the gas and it goes,” said Jean Jennings, editor of Automobile magazine. “What Toyota did was spend a lot of money to really produce the highest tech hybrid.”

The potent triple play of more power, better gas mileage and less pollution explains why hybrid sales are taking off -- from 88,000 last year to an estimated 222,000 this year and a projected 300,000 next year. (That still represents a small fraction of the roughly 16.5 million cars and light trucks sold in the U.S. last year.)

Doesn't speak to the specs of the models being compared, but the mention of how the V6 have the power and accerlation of a V8 peaked my interest.

Hybrids are perfect for offroading. The electric assist motor (theoretically) gives 100% torque at 0 RPM. If I could draw a graph, or find one, I would.

I think that's how locamotives work. The diesel engines basically run a generator to power the huge electric motors. That is how the can get 30 train cars moving from a dead stop easily. Also they have mega traction from the static friction (from a stop not rolling).

Full power @ low RPM's is why the diesel guys on the Int'l Forum are so into them. The only problem is in low traction situations (read mud, snow, and ice) the wheels would spin a lot. That's why there's a 2nd gear start button on 80's. It works better than locking the FR and RR.

Yeah, that is what I've read on this too, 100% torque at 0rpm. Tried to explain this to my wife the other day, but fell on deaf ears.

Another reason why companies like Porsche are seriously looking into Hybrids and why Toyota is seriously considering loading its Lexus LF-A (Supra) with hybrid technology.

Who needs the Kyoto Treaty when you have supply and demand...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom