Builds Fj Buggy: V8,Rear steer,Toy axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
here is my newest rear steer buildup at the shop.. Trying to stay somewhat cruiser....
Build up here...Blank page
103_0317.JPG
103_0318.JPG
103_0320.JPG

Last edited:
specs

2006 5.3 chevy to a turbo 350 trans to a 203 low range gear box to a fj60 t case... spit to front and rear steering toyota land cruiser axles....If i can get out of rookie territory i have more pics to show....

Looks dam good! Only Question would be why you would use an FJ60 t-case??

from your website it looks like you have done a bunch of the rear steer toy axles, How are they holding up?

Last edited:
case

It is very strong and keeps everything to one side... Plus it is relitively lite...

Last edited:
Looking good PJ! Keep the pics coming. I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

It is very strong and keeps everything to one side... Plus it is relitively light...

I thought you only recomend it for light buggys .. ?

t case

It is a very strong t case... other things should let go before it does... I have used fj40 cases in some 4cyl rear steer builds but i am confident in the 60 case for the v8 application... Any one who has taken one apart can vouch for the strength... i am hoping this rig will come in under 3500 lbs...

There are plenty V8 engines mated to a Toy tranny and t-case without problems .. but the important point it's how much powa get the V8 .. ?

what are you using for your rear steer axle? surely not mini-truck....60 series or 80? and what size tires? looks cool!

Those 39" Iroks?
:cheers: to you for wanting to spend yer wheelin time trail-fixin those axles. How them knuckles holdin up? Did I see a 3 spd tcase on yer web page w/o some type of reinforcing "saver" behind a V-8?

Nope, they are 42" IROKs on the new buggy. The 3-speed t-case is in a buggy (green FJ40 hood) with a 22R/mini truck 5-speed/mini truck t-case/FJ40 t-case. It also has 42" IROKs. Then there is another buggy (blue FJ40 hood) with the same drivetrain and 39" IROKs.

PJ's current buggy with the 22R and 42s has held up pretty well, and it gets wheeled often.

The FJ steering axles should hold up with the V8. My front axle has held up fine with a V8 and 39" IROKs for 2 years, and now 42" IROKs. PJ has 30 spline Longs front and rear. I have them in my front axle, as well as ARP knuckle and hub studs.

how much do you think this rig is going to weigh? and i'm guessing that your running that front axle upside down in the back? does that make the 3rd a high pinion? isn't that supposed to be weak in a rear application? and do you cut and rotate the knuckle balls 180 degrees?

R.K. is right... i do try to wheel about every other weekend somewhere with My first buggy that has been done for almost 2 years.. that is a lot of wheeling... it has held up well.. My only carnage to date is Ring and pinion... in the rear.. and no powdercoat left on the outside hoops. do to rolls and flops... It is super light 2800lbs and runs the 22r on propane with rear steer and 42's.. yes it has a 3 speed case with no t case saver... I have not had any problems... But the torque of a 4cyl is why.... I am sure people will attest that i am not super easy on it and that is goes where any other purpose built buggy goes... and maybe then some... With a 3rd place finish at Uwharrie cross race a couple weeks ago. I am real happy with the platform.. I built one for A customer down in Florida... basically the same setup with alot nicer creature comforts.. he is running 39.5's, and it really works also...
WIth that said the extra strength of the Fj60 t case over the 3 speed case should be enough to keep things together with the v8... I am hoping that my weak link will be 30 spline longs...

Dude .. how much runs you calculate over your king pin and wheel bearings with those Iroks 42" . ?

I know it all depend on the terrain and the skiny pedal .... but it's just to make me an idea ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom