FJ acting up going into 4th gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DMZ

Threads
hey folks,
My FJ40 did fine out at the round-up last weekend including the trip to and from Austin. Saturday I took it out on the highway and it started having a stuttering and backfiring issues when moving into 4th gear. So from a start everything is fine, but when shifting into 4th 'sometimes' all engine power is lost and the FJ kicks and backfires. If I back down to 3rd and bring it back up again, it might be fine or might not. My current guesses are either the air filter, the fuel filter, an iffy plug, or a clogged carb or fuel line. Anyone got a guess to what it most likely is?

thx,
best,
DouglasM

I would guess that there is an air leak somewhere along the way to cause the back fire, but becuase it only does it going into fourth, I don't know. I would check to see if the shifter was hitting anything weird or grounding something out somehow to cause a big electrical shortage. Good luck.

i second the fuel pump. when i put in an aftermarket pump in my '82 (wrong part; right numbers... silly niehoff) i had the same problem when i got on the highway. bucking, engine starvation, all sorts of nastiness at highway speeds. when i kept it under 45mph, all was fine.

i put in a toyota pump and the problem went away.

Cool- I'll try the new fuel pump route.

Thx! I'll try the new fuel pump. BTW, I think it does start to happen in 3rd when rompped upon. thx again.

It sounds like a fuel problem, but I am not a big fan of just replacing stuff to find out. Check the fuel delivery at the carb first. It should be able to pump about a cup of fuel in 20 seconds of cranking.

It could also be a clogged tank, filter or carb.

Pin_Head said:
It sounds like a fuel problem, but I am not a big fan of just replacing stuff to find out. Check the fuel delivery at the carb first. It should be able to pump about a cup of fuel in 20 seconds of cranking.

It could also be a clogged tank, filter or carb.

good point about just randomly replacing parts.

i had a pump that seemed to pass a pressure output test.
also had a good solid "full line" of gas spurting from an open hose, yet the truck would not run past half throttle.
it tested that it should work, yet did not run.
for shizzle and giggles i repeated the same tests with the new pump.
reached presure in one pump, where the other needed a few strokes.
had a full pipe of gas shooting out where the other just had a full pipe just flowing out.
plain as day once i saw the difference.

where the last pump i did flat out did not pump more than a slight trickle of fuel.
it would idle fine but not drive more then a few hundred yards at a shot.

both pumps also worked fine one second and crapped the next.

neither made me walk.........i <3 toyota....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom