fj 80 wiper motor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jpeace3

Threads
Need info on someone to rebuild wiper motor or info on one that will interchange.

IME if the wiper motor doesn't pop off the linkage you need a tool (or make a tool as I did) to give it some leverage.

The end of the linkage circled in Red above IIRC is like a hard nylon plastic cup (under the rubber boot) that snaps over the steel ball on the wiper motor arm.

I made a tool out of a small 8" flat bar type nail puller that I picked up at Home_Depot for about $4. Using a cutting wheel I cut about 7/10th of an inch out of the middle of one end leaving two "fork tines" about one inch long each which straddled the width of the chrome ball (see photos below for reference). I slid that tool between the chrome ball and the booted end of the linkage that has the nylon bushing inside and pried slighty to pop the ball out of the bushing; easy. Screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, upholstery tools, you name it, nothing else worked.

FZJ80 removing wiper motor from linkage.JPG

Next photo shows wiper motor (bolts) removed and the motor and linkage pulled out of the cowl box area just a bit.Red arrow indicates where to pry with the modified tool:

FZJ80 removing wiper motor from linkage with red arrow.jpg

See photos at the end of this previous wiper motor thread to get oriented:

Last edited:
IME if the wiper motor doesn't pop off the linkage you need a tool (or make a tool as I did) to give it some leverage.

The end of the linkage circled in Red above IIRC is like a hard nylon plastic cup (under the rubber boot) that snaps over the steel ball on the wiper motor arm.

I made a tool out of a small 8" flat bar type nail puller that I picked up at Home_Depot for about $4. Using a cutting wheel I cut about 7/10th of an inch out of the middle of one end leaving two "fork tines" about one inch long each which straddled the width of the chrome ball (see photos below for reference). I slid that tool between the chrome ball and the booted end of the linkage that has the nylon bushing inside and pried slighty to pop the ball out of the bushing; easy. Screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, upholstery tools, you name it, nothing else worked.

See photos at the end of this thread to get oriented:

This very helpful and I have that exact plastic rivet puller tool I can alter like yours. We now shall see how fast a new link can get from UAE to Denver.

I used a DASCO Pro Ultra Bar II 7 1/2" tool (made of steel) that I modified one end to get those two tines as shown above.

FZJ80 modified nail puller tool Dasco wiper motor removal.JPG

Last edited:
Genius

And FYI front links 85150-60101 that are still available are exact match for the originals in my 94. Only difference is original arms were black these are chrome.

20230713_154130.jpg

20230713_154134.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom