FJ 62 Transfer Case - Hands-on Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You have a couple good options, just depends on your schedule. Mel Lowe up in Gainesville would be a good place to take it if he has time. I suspect he would be OK with you watching and helping. everything I have seen him do looks very nice. If you wanted to do a more hands on approach and time was not essential it could be pulled during one of the FLCA get togethers. Would likely be a all day affair since it involves a little committee mentality, but a good group of guys and any question you asked could get answered.

There is at least one very experienced member in the Tampa area, but he may not have the time. They will likely chime in if they can.

I have quite a few pictures and exploded diagrams from rebuilding mine. The case is really pretty basic, the only part that could be a problem is when you do it the first time it can take a couple days. If the truck is your DD then that may be a factor.

Hopefully the shop didn't damage anything trying to get it apart.

I'm not in Tampa anymore to personally help bit take it to Tim Moye transmissions in lutz. they are very experienced with landcruiser work. 813-909-8337 is their #

I'm not in Tampa anymore to personally help bit take it to Tim Moye transmissions in lutz. they are very experienced with landcruiser work. 813-909-8337 is their #

I thought so to. I was the one that recommended him, and got him on the MUD mechanics list. He did my FJ62's trans.

He's also the one that shot him down:frown: and apparently didn't have the time or desire to fool with it?:frown:

That's not the Tim Moye I know, but that's what you got, so he's out of the picture.

How about a work day with this guy?

I know that there's no "official" club in the area, but I also know that there are several very knowledgeable LC people in the area as well.

I'm in Tampa, and not too far from him as well, and while I don't know much about transmissions and TC's, I do know how to follow instructions:D

If those that know, would be willing to get together with those of us that are willing to learn, then even if all you can do is provide instruction, we can do the grunt work, get the physical labor done, hook this guy up, and maybe learn a thing or two at the same time:D

I'll bet we can even convince him to provide food and your favorite beverages for the effort:D
:)beer: after of course)

Why not bring the cruiser community together for a cause?
Just a thought.

OD

that sucks to hear about Tim's shop I'd be willing to bet it's because Jr is taking overit really sucks that there is almost no mechanic shop nowadays you can actually count on but that's the Walmart mentality of America

that sucks to hear about Tim's shop I'd be willing to bet it's because Jr is taking overit really sucks that there is almost no mechanic shop nowadays you can actually count on but that's the Walmart mentality of America

Jr. Was the one that did mine, and they did a great job. At the time at least, he was driving a lifted and modified taco or tundra (don't recall which).
I really don't understand what happened?

they did a great job on my 80 trans too. very knowledgeable and only changed the solenoids that were bad which is what I asked them to do. didn't try to sell me that my trans was shot and needed to be replaced(which was the first time ever at a transmission shop) and installed my skid plate free because they were under it anyway. I had a very good experience

Tim treated me well as well. The service and experience was enough to cause me to recommend them to the MUD community.

That aside, something went awry here, and the guy's in a jam.

Any way we can get some folks together to help out?

Like I said, he and I, and anyone else that wants to, can do the dirty (grunt) work, we just need guidance from someone that knows their way around these rigs.

I'll be in Lutz in the next day or two, and may stop by to see Jr.
Just to say hello you know;)

OD

I can be in on assistance as far as wrench turning, etc. If we can set up a day/place for it and someone that has the knowledge for the tranny/transfer etc.
Just need a bit of notice as to a date/time.

I can be in on assistance as far as wrench turning, etc. If we can set up a day/place for it and someone that has the knowledge for the tranny/transfer etc.
Just need a bit of notice as to a date/time.

:cheers: Cool!
Thanks.

That makes three (3) of us.
Now we just need the brains of the operation, someone that is familiar with these rigs:D

<psssshhht> Paging Butman. Paging Butman. Come in Butman.

I'd join in, mostly to learn. I know nothing about the split cases.

Pat

Guys
Thanks for all the offers of help - I really appreciate that!
It looks like now we just need a guy that's "been there and done that."

And of course food and drinks r on me!

Hopefully we can make this happen - maybe even video record to post on YouTube for others

You need to call Luis . All the worries and troubles will go away . He goes by LC60 on here just shoot him a pm . He is the LC god .

That is all .

Unfortunately I can't take on any work right now :frown:

It appears the mechanic doing the job didn't take all the inside bolts out. There's one behind the gear cluster. The transfer case has to be disassembled while in the vehicle first before the front part of the case can be unbolted. There is nothing but a paper gasket between the transmission and the transfer case and nothing that would prevent the transfer case from separating from the transmission.

It's a one day job. Only problem is, once you get it apart and you discover that the idler shaft is pitted and worn (common), you might have to wait a few days for the part to arrive from the dealer.

Sorry I don't know any local Cruiser mechanics.

PM Deo in Gainesville. He is "Mel Lowe" here on IH8MUD
He might take the job on.

How can I forget about Luis (LC60) in Apopka. He is the Land Cruiser god. That is if he has the time.

Steve,

Thanks for the response and the referral. Same to you FJCrawler.:beer:

All we need is guidance. We have the muscle at this point to do the grunt work:D

And thanks for the information as well on the bolt, etc.
Very much appreciated.

Hope you're healing well my friend.

OD

You need to call Luis . All the worries and troubles will go away . He goes by LC60 on here just shoot him a pm . He is the LC god .

That is all .

I will send Luis a pm and cross my fingers.
Thank you for the lead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom