FJ-62 LPSV height after OME heavys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a set of OME heavys on my 1989 FJ-62. Do I need to relocate the LPSV on my 62? If so do I need to raise it the 2.5-3" that the OME added?

I don't think that you can get 2.5-3" out of just the stock adjustment mechanism, I think you'll need a spacer as well. On my OME medium lift (with one leaf removed but with helper airbags) I used 1"x1" square stock to also extend the entire axle bracket up and then I used the stock adjustment to add about another 1". I used the combination of the spacer plus the stock adjustment mechanism so that the spacer would give me some fixed boost and then I could dial it in with the stock adjustment. This approach worked well and 2" total on mine made a big difference.

Thanks Moby! I guess thats what I meant. Should I add a 2.5" - 3"spacer to the axle bracket to get it back to the same height relative to the body?

Has anyone else done this that can post a picture of how you did the spacer mod?

No hijack intended but how mushy are the brakes if the LSPV is not adjusted in response to a lift?

Has anyone else done this that can post a picture of how you did the spacer mod?

No pic, but I used a light switch/electrical outlet box as a spacer on mine. So far so good.

No hijack intended but how mushy are the brakes if the LSPV is not adjusted in response to a lift?

I didn't notice the brakes feeling mushy before fixing, but you could tell the balance was out (front locking up in low traction long before the rear). Now they lock up pretty close to the same.

Here is a picture of my 1" spacer. I couldn't quite get a picture of the adjustment nut on the LSPV itself (spare tire was in the way) but I've got it adjusted up for another 1" in addition to the spacer. You could use 1x2" box and then use adjustment nut to add another .5-1" depending on how much weight you have on the truck.
IMG_1640.jpg

It dosnt feel safe. The front disks get hot while the rear drums are at ambient temp. I dont know if this is due to the lift and LSPV or that the rears are out of adjustment. I replaced the shoes at the same time I installed the lift due to a leaky rear axle seal.

You need to raise the LPSV the same amount as your lift. After you do this you should check the operation of your brakes and the set up of your LPSV. I am guilty I just raised mine and now the front and rear brakes both get warm.

Here is a photo of how I raised mine

Tony
LPSV.jpg

Thanks for the photos... I would have overlooked this step when installing my lift, thanks for posting this thread as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom