fj 62 diesel options please?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi guys.
posting from South Africa and recently acquired a FJ62 gx and really excited to get her working and just wanting a general idea and thoughts on what Diesel engine you'd go for?
as I go on some serious trips through Africa petrol(gas) isn't always available/accessible so making it a diesel conversion.
I've been looking at the following engines which I know of:
cummins 4BT
cummins 6BT
1HD-T
12H-T
1HZ
there are also a couple more of Lexus and Toyota options available here .

basically I am just trying to get an idea of what has proven itself in a 60series and maybe just couple of opinions or even personal preferences so just help me make up my mind basically?? thanks guys

Do a search in the Diesel and 24 volt section. There is much information there on the many options.
Probably too much information, but at least you can spend the next week or so scoping your options...

preference ...

1HD-T

but rather take the one it's more common with better price and the one that will be a better deal ..

I agree with Tapage, but I should also add 14B-T which is a super reliable engine in a lighter factor, it will give better millage if you don't mind a little less horse power.

The Cummins 4bt has been done a lot but they usually wind up for sale when people realize how heavy they are and how bad they vibrate.

thanks so much so far guys.. yeah I still would like a few hp so its a hard choice. I've heard the same about the 4bt about vibrations and loudness so so far im liking the 1HD-T

The 12HT would be my recommend. It’s a direct bolt in replacement for a 2H and they use the same 5 speed.
Also same mounts, etc. 1HDT is fine, but much more involved, need to replace transmission as well.

I’m going down the same road as @davegonz with a turbo’d 1HZ.

Benefits: The 1HZ is currently being made and you can readily find every single part for it from block, crank, to injection pump and head. It’s a two wire mechanical diesel that will run forever as long as you don’t push the temps too high.

I am running a 1HZ in my 80 series naturally aspirated and that too runs just fine. That would be the motor of choice if I was going to be in the middle of nowhere hundreds of miles from anything.

I also have an HJ61 with a 12HT. I love that motor just as much or more, but it’s a 30-year-old motor and some parts are no longer available. They must be found on the secondary market, which is still very doable.

I would have absolutely no qualms about running a 1HDT or even a 1HDFT if I could find a good one.

hi guys.
posting from South Africa and recently acquired a FJ62 gx and really excited to get her working and just wanting a general idea and thoughts on what Diesel engine you'd go for?
as I go on some serious trips through Africa petrol(gas) isn't always available/accessible so making it a diesel conversion.
I've been looking at the following engines which I know of:
cummins 4BT
cummins 6BT
1HD-T
12H-T
1HZ
there are also a couple more of Lexus and Toyota options available here .

basically I am just trying to get an idea of what has proven itself in a 60series and maybe just couple of opinions or even personal preferences so just help me make up my mind basically?? thanks guys
If I were still living in Africa I'd go with a Toyota engine. Easier to get parts for than say a 4bt. Plus Toyota is pretty much plug and play.

Benefits: The 1HZ is currently being made and you can readily find every single part for it from block, crank, to injection pump and head. It’s a two wire mechanical diesel that will run forever as long as you don’t push the temps too high.

I am running a 1HZ in my 80 series naturally aspirated and that too runs just fine. That would be the motor of choice if I was going to be in the middle of nowhere hundreds of miles from anything.

I also have an HJ61 with a 12HT. I love that motor just as much or more, but it’s a 30-year-old motor and some parts are no longer available. They must be found on the secondary market, which is still very doable.

I would have absolutely no qualms about running a 1HDT or even a 1HDFT if I could find a good one.
thanks so much for this

curious to hear how the 1HZ pushes the 80 series? looking at the specs - its less power and torque than the 3FE in my FJ62. I like the idea of simplicity - but those specs make me wonder if it would be no better at moving the mass of a fully loaded FJ62 down the highway than the 3FE that is already in it?

i'd love to be in a position to swap in a 1HDT - but at 10,000 its gonna take me a while to save the coin.

Last edited:
I have been pretty surprised about the overall drivability of the heavy 80 series with a naturally aspirated 1HZ. It feels about the same as my 3FE FJ62, and still feels like it’s not working as hard at highway speed’s. It will pull 70 to 75 mph without complaint on the flats. Steep uphills, especially up hill starts from standing will bog it down and it takes a little bit of playing around to keep it in the proper RPM and torque band.

I thought my HJ61 was THE dream truck of all time until I started driving this 80 about a month ago. The diesel 80 is now my daily driver. The 12HT has more pure animal grunt to it, but the 1HZ is so smooooth.

I have all the necessary parts except for a front mount intercooler to turbo the 80, but right now I’m just enjoying the simplicity.

A 1HZ turbo build for my FJ60 is up next. The turbo will probably go into that truck.

All your 80 needs is a turbo :)

i love my 1hdt and haven’t had any trouble with parts so far. not every mechanic is comfortable with it though so i’ve had to do most of the work on it myself but the repair manual is quite good. i’ve done timing belt and water pump and big end bearings. not really too tough to work on.

The Cummins 4bt has been done a lot but they usually wind up for sale when people realize how heavy they are and how bad they vibrate.

Bogus info. All kinds of trucks with all kinds of engines get sold all the time for all different kinds of reasons. That's irrelevant. I've lived with mine for that last 12 years and I've pushed it all over the place. I've taken several locals for a drive and they have all noted how much it doesn't vibrate like internet lore leads people to believe. It's not smooth like a modern gas engine, but I also didn't want a modern gas engine or a modern platform. 4bt weighs the same as the standard gas 2F. 6bt... now that's a heavy engine but the power potential is ridiculous.

For the OP I would probably not suggest a cummins because of his location; I would think there will be other options there that we can't get in the US. Options that should be priced well and have great parts support since everything needs parts.

What @boots4 said. The vibration is a made up problem by those who don't have a 4BT. If you're a snowflake and vibration is your threshold, perhaps a 60 series isn't for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom